Outer Hebrides

· 11 · 2610

janderson41

Outer Hebrides
« on: February 22, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »
Help and suggestions please.
Being now 72 and never been to the Outer Hebrides I have them on my "bucket list"'
Have toured mainland Scotland for over 60 years I now want to go to the islands.
Intend to travel 3rd week in March and sail from Oban to Barra.
Then wend my north over 4-5 days via causeway and ferry and eventually get to the Butt of Lewis.
Returning either Stornoway/Ullapool  or Tarbert/Uig and home through Skye
On my own as my wife refuses point blank to even consider the trip.
Any tips, suggestions etc greatly appreciated.

Jim A
----------------
2002 Disco 2 auto
1996 Disco 300 Tdi (gone)
Jim A
2002 Disco 2 Td5 auto
1996 Disco 1 300Tdi auto (gone)

SJF

• Name: Stuart Ford
Re: Outer Hebrides
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »
Don't have any tips but your trip sounds fantastic remember your camera and fill us in on how it goes

lurch032003

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 05:55:00 AM »
i would avoid ugg nothing to see one road to one end and turnaround and back , 1 shop half way if open bar that a bare island.
uist is a good one , loch boisdale down to other end lots of history etc stayed there for a year when young doing fish farming with mc connel salmon at the time, if you hitting these islands pack warm clothing for all types of weather in one day and if your hitching dont put thumb out in uist as locals dont stop for thumbs, if its still the same bus leaves at 8am from lochboisdale to airport and returns at 1 pm the rest of the islands especially the bigger ones have more  avoid the smaller ones unless thats what you want and yes pack a good camera as you will have loads of great shots availble and some you just wont ever belive.
enjoy your trip

janderson41

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:59:49 AM »
Will be using my Discovery. Will fuel up in Oban before crossing to Barra.
Used to carrying extra clothing having holidayed  in Scotland most of my life.
Thanks for the pointers.

Jim A
_----------
2002 Disco 2 Auto
1996 Disco 300Tdi (gone)
Jim A
2002 Disco 2 Td5 auto

lurch032003

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:31:17 PM »
A couple of other things you probably have thought of are spares/tools as few and far garages on the islands and i would take a jerry can full of extra fuel when going across or two I look forward to hearing you progress and pics sounds like a really nice trip I hope you get the good weather and have tons of fun wish I was able to do a trip like this deffinatley a bucket list and a very good one at that have fun.

Ian Hutchison

• Name: Ian Hutchison
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 10:37:27 PM »
Hi Jim your trip sounds great but. Why are you not visiting my beautiful queen of the isles islay where I stay it is well worth a wee visit if you fancy it or need more info let me know Jura is also an 8min ferry trip from islay

janderson41

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 11:19:39 PM »
Ian,  Islay & Jura still to be done someday.
Time and funds not enough at moment

Jim A
_-----------
2002 Disco 2 auto
1996 Disco 300Tdi auto(gone)
Jim A
2002 Disco 2 Td5 auto

Ian Hutchison

• Name: Ian Hutchison
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 01:08:20 PM »
No probs Jim let me know when you fancy a trip I will get you some good reasonably priced accomodation in the meantime njoy your trip

NIJ

• Name: Nigel Kelly
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »
Hi Jim, a wonderful trip!  We did same route in Freelander a few years ago.  You'll want more time there.  Don't think you'll be allowed a jerry can on the ferry. 
We loved http://www.bailenacille.co.uk/ , a bit remote and quirky certainly and not particularly cheap but a highlight of our trip, could have spent more time there quite happily (3 nts B&B £45P/P + dinner £30 in May 2009), don't think there's anywhere else to eat nearby anyway.  Fabulous location, incredible beaches, sure you'd love it. 
We bought a bargain Calmac hopscotch (no 23?)ticket, 5 ferries, sailed from Oban to Barra, then drove / sailed with stop offs all the way up to Lewis, then ferry from Tarbert to Uig, down to Armadale to Malaig.
I found it a juggle to arrange between booking ferry crossings and finding accommodation to suit.  It wasn't an option for us but I didn't see much opportunity for wild camping in that there seemed to be a lot of roadside fences.
There was a cafe on the pier in Castlebay that served fabulous curry. Nigel
Nigel

sneakypete

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 03:50:21 PM »
calanais stones are worth lookin at ... http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/propertyoverview.htm?PropID=PL_051
if you like that kind of thing.
Toerag

janderson41

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:59:58 PM »
Hello Nigel, I did look at the rover ticket thing. With only 4  ferries I will save about £100.
The Tarbert ferry to Uig I did fancy but doesn.t suit.
Appreciate the time factor but will have  4 full days and on my own so no worries.
Thanks for all the help
cheers
Jim A
----------
2002 Disco 2 auto
1996 Disco 300Tdi auto(gone)

Jim A
2002 Disco 2 Td5 auto