New electric problem on the P38 .

· 13 · 3471

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
New electric problem on the P38 .
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:42:24 AM »
    Hi I just got 1 problem solved then I get another to make sure I'm paying attention .RR P38 2001 2.5 diesel , over the last week the car drains the battery in a day and a half . Not used every day , every other day for short type runs .I have changed the battery for a newish fully
   charged one , it does the same , I had the other battery fully charged up then changed them but its done it again . Alternator is putting out
   right amps , it has EAS but I set it right down and its on level ground . Any ideas ... as I'm now getting to the stage .. what's f%*$£%g
   next !!!   Totally frustrated    Duncan  Cheers :)
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

konads

Re: New electric problem on the P38 .
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 07:39:48 AM »
Have you got a multimeter? I'd probably hook it up to the battery with the engine off and remove individual fuses until the load drops off. At least then you can narrow down which circuit has the fault.

lurch032003

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:21:59 PM »
When this first started did you put anything new in or fix something that wasn't working ? If so go back to that and disconnect it and check if that is what is pulling power if so may be a wiring fault in or around that area, if you also been behind dash check you havnt connected or disconnected a wire which is causing the power Loss without actually seeing it hard to help also but I would try anything fixed or new first.

mel

• Name: Patrick McInally
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:30 PM »
Hi sorry to say this is a common fault with p38 petrol or desiel,
 there are a number of causes.alarm/central locking/ earth to name a few
if you are in a safe area/garage try leaving the doors un-locked overnight as could be a door lock or the ecu not going to sleep to see if it is that.
you could also disconect the reciever in the passenger rear panel next to the window arial to see if its that there is two types of reciever if it is that'
there is plenty info on internet just punch in p38 battry drain in search.
good luck and keep calm.

KIERON

• Name: Kieron freyne
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 06:48:50 PM »
Dunky,
Have you or your neighbours changed your wireless router recently? This can drain the battery believe it or not as it can use the same wavelength and ecu will not go to sleep-it also knocks off your or your neighbours bb at the same time.try parking it up the road a bit out of range and ask if anybody has had bb issues of late
88 bowler
80 tomcat

Dunc

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 11:05:26 PM »
Dunky,
Have you or your neighbours changed your wireless router recently? This can drain the battery believe it or not as it can use the same wavelength and ecu will not go to sleep-it also knocks off your or your neighbours bb at the same time.try parking it up the road a bit out of range and ask if anybody has had bb issues of late

Ahha ! I have changed my router and it kind of coincides with the electrical issue . Now please enlighten me as to the cure ..
                         You're not just a pretty face after all !!    :)  Duncan

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 06:32:15 AM »
Dunky,

Ahha ! I have changed my router and it kind of coincides with the electrical issue . Now please enlighten me as to the cure ..
                         You're not just a pretty face after all !!    :)  Duncan
You pair had better watch out or you will be quoted when they start to blame BT for killing car batteries in a Watchdog exclusive!

Dunc

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 08:29:06 AM »

[/quote]
You pair had better watch out or you will be quoted when they start to blame BT for killing car batteries in a Watchdog exclusive!
[/quote]

Who mentioned any names of provider    !!!!                                 Duncan   :)

Dunc

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »
     :)   I've changed the router back to the original and LO+BEHOLD she started 1st time of asking . Deep Joy !! I have read somewhere there
          is an upgraded RF receiver that will eliminate this fault . Also there is a small piece of kit that can eliminate the problems of the router .
                  Am I better fitting the RF upgrade anyway ???

Cheers   Duncan 

coolcamper55

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:32:54 AM »
Good luck on the kit approach, eliminating RF into the vehicle can be a total PIA. Be interested if you could reproduce the effect by putting it back in might then be able to charge the supplier, these routers are supposed to be certified to prevent this sort of thing and if they do not should not be fitted.
Could be very embarrassing to the supplier / manufacturer. Especially if you were to post it in the Land Rover forums / farsebook pages.

T

piper5

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »
i have seen issues like this on two td5 discos one was a doorbell the other a wireless mouse.new rf reciever in the roof fixed it both times. they cost about £30

Dunc

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:44:41 PM »
   :)    :)  Well , tonight after the P38 has sat dormant since Sunday afternoon I decided to start it up ( the snow had started and I was praying
              for more so I could go and play ) and at the 1st time of asking it fired up ! So thanks for the tit bit KIERON !!   Although there are so
              many different wifi things that can cause this (REIN .. repetitive electrical interference noise ) it could have been a very costly repair
              to find then fix .    So not to show my general ignorance can anybody tell me where the RF receiver lives ??

Cheers    Duncan

mel

• Name: Patrick McInally
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 10:05:30 AM »
As mentioned  before reciever is rear driver side window with arial in glass remove panal its next to the arial connection which is near the seatbelt tentioner.