lurch032003

Re: what did you do with your landy in 2014
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2014, 05:43:30 PM »
Hi read my medicated recent write up and yes all over the place lol
Anyways short version cylinder head done, hotspots replaced and cylinder head cleaned up and back on engine, just got to basically put it all back together .

Pics at
http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/lurch032003/library/Mobile%20Uploads?sort=3&page=1
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:04:35 PM by lurch032003 »

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2014, 08:05:47 PM »
John, you got predictatext on? Took some deciphering :)
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

lurch032003

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2014, 06:31:04 AM »
John, you got predictatext on? Took some deciphering :)

Sorry on a lot of med's, plus not the greatest at writing or spelling my apologies, I'm better working with my hands than writing , :-(
But that said I had my landrover started yesterday woo hoo
That's after I had to change the knackered starter!! And then purchase a new battery.
Outcome still smoking so today back to basics , new injectors(reconditioned) timing and cav adjustment will hopefully be the cure if not I'm ready to give up and dig deep into pocket's to send her to landrover hell my local but good garage who charge a fortune to get her fixed.
One last thought I hadn't thought of may be her timing chain? Could this cause her to smoke also??? Have got a new chain so something else I could try also.
Anyways apologies to all for my way of writing and spelling if its causing a problem ill stop my stories and quietly sit back and read what others are doing.

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2014, 08:53:43 AM »
John, don't worry just keep the stories coming!
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

gennydoctor

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »
Got 300tdi into my 1972 series 3. Chopped the front panel a bit to get discovery radiator and td5 intercooler mounted in front, played with hose and pipe to plumb it together. Got to take it all out again to fully weld engine mounts, fit new seals, clutch and timing belt,might get front panel and bulkhead galvanised when it's in bits..... Got 11 inch drums to fit to front axle, rear parabolic springs, new brake shoes/cylinders/pipework then nearly done!
Need to get creative with the disco exhaust to make a nice side exit pipe, but will need to pack a bag and head offshore again tomorrow.

lurch032003

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2014, 12:18:25 PM »
Help need a Diesel engine the one I bought of here from a member you know who you are is a dud I have tried everything to stop it smoking , replaced-
Injectors, stem seals, ground tappets, change oil, new filters, new gasgets, change starter motor , new battery, change cav and host if other stuff,
So unless I have missed something its a dud in my book and got experience from it all never to trust somebody selling a engine here unless I see it running first!!!!! Oh and had to do clutch also.
I am totally gutted after all this time I have spent doing this I'm just not fit I think to do it again!!

gennydoctor

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2014, 05:59:57 PM »
When the engine was stripped were the bores ok? Did you fit new rings and gap them properly? If the pump timing isn't right it'll smoke, slacken the 3 hold down bolts on the pump, start it up and rotate the pump when running to find the optimum point. Too advanced and it'll knock, too retarded = white reek.... Worth a try?

lurch032003

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2014, 11:22:12 PM »
When the engine was stripped were the bores ok? Did you fit new rings and gap them properly? If the pump timing isn't right it'll smoke, slacken the 3 hold down bolts on the pump, start it up and rotate the pump when running to find the optimum point. Too advanced and it'll knock, too retarded = white reek.... Worth a try?
all the bores where  not touched these looked great have been told to do the timing chain as cant get any difference when adjusting the cav so chain next.

lurch032003

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »
yesterday took advantage of getting home early, i fitted all new brake discs and pads plus last reaming bearing hub to Saab which has been waiting for over a month to be done so its complete and ready for its mot soon, the weather today is crap and that's me being polite so dug out cav pump and set it up according to manual so it ready to install bat that have to wait for weather to improve.
 My other landy the S2A i finished of the drivers front dumb iron repair it needed and quiet impressed with the results and today marked up sheets ready for cutting for other side but again delivery of my cutting discs haven't arrived grrrr and just because back sore from yesterday also having rest of day resting up and hope weathers better tomorrow.
its at times like these i wish i had a double garage to work in just so frustrating having to reply on our Scottish weather to be able to work outside.
anyways later all

cheers

piper5

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2014, 06:00:37 PM »
looking at your picture it looks like white smoke??? if so thats a fueling issue rather than blue oil smoke.
i had one of these about fifteen years ago that did this, in the end a guy from the dockyard who worked on old diesel engines sorted it, he basically timed the pump by listening to the engine and turning the pump, according to the book it was a mile out .
get an old school diesel mech to look at it, find someone into old tractors or the like.

also is there a chance you have fixed it and the exhaust is full of unburnt fuel or oil

lurch032003

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »
looking at your picture it looks like white smoke??? if so thats a fueling issue rather than blue oil smoke.
i had one of these about fifteen years ago that did this, in the end a guy from the dockyard who worked on old diesel engines sorted it, he basically timed the pump by listening to the engine and turning the pump, according to the book it was a mile out .
get an old school diesel mech to look at it, find someone into old tractors or the like.

also is there a chance you have fixed it and the exhaust is full of unburnt fuel or oil
hi i agree its a fuel/timing problem,have got anther cav ready to install set by the book but as the engine is a unknow i am doing the timm
ing chain also so setting it all by the book basically back to zero and starting from there and hope to get it sorted this way.

lurch032003

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »
Well the weather been shall we say bad!! Lol and its stop me doing the series3 so got stuck into doing the S2a chassis repairs and have finally finished all the welding that I can see or found needing done. Then from rear to bulkhead i have given it a coat of chassis paint, which I really drenched it in lol , halve of it on me and my glasses , thought I was seeing black spots before me everywhere till I took them off lol , well have to say its looking promising and good so far, tomorrow will start getting what's needed done to get the tub back on and work on that so my fav word is - anyways, laters and cheers 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:18:50 PM by lurch032003 »

lurch032003

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »
Worked on series 3 and 2a tub , stripped out and drained radiator and took off water pump, drained oil ready to take sump off so can wedge running gear to take take off sprocket so can get to chiming chain on s3.
On the 2a worked in stripping the tub down , lights,covers, old bolts and sanded off flacky paint, took off all old retaining strips fir seals as they are non exsistant then painted it ready fir measure up and fitting of aluminium checkered plate then its ready to reattach to chassis and paint then wire up again.
Well that's me knackered so resting up fir rest of night
So laters all and cheers

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
At last the de-construction has ceased and the assembly begins.
Bulkhead sound proofed last night, replacement engine and gearbox bolted in hopefully for the final time.
Now to work out some wiring to bring the old girl to life.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

lurch032003

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2014, 09:27:22 PM »
Well got to check the timing chain and its great like brand new abet a little slack on runner guide but once cleaned up and reassembled its gone nice and tight?!? I thought since I bought a new chain I would fit it! Ah if life was so easy it only a link to long :-( said it was and checked for my 88 2 1/4 diesel oh well unless I can take a link out its no good to me now so all bolted back up and to how book said . Just cav and radiator to put back in oh and sump, oil and coolant etc then hopefully it will be fixed or just tweaked to get it running without smoke if not I give up and need a new engine. So if you have a diesel 2 1/4 - 2.5 l one that your willing to part with and doesn't smoke hold on I may need it.