rover 3.5 v8 none starter

· 9 · 2040

m333rcr

• Name: Alistair Mercer
rover 3.5 v8 none starter
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »
Hello all

I would like to say first of all i am new on the club scene and the forum. I was at the event at the start of december. I had a good time and have learned a bit more how the events are run. so thankks.

My problem i have a series three land rover 1976. with a rover 3.5 v8 in it. with edelbrock carb. with a luminition distrubutor.

what happened i am wanting to get it motd . drove it out drive way and now it want started . it was as random as that. it been running and given a wee tune up and all seamed well.

I was turning it over and there was nothing not even a kick. I have put new cap on it as it was corroded in side. still nothing dont think fuel is a problem. i have a spark.

there is power to the coil and the luminition distributor , well as far a small test lamp will tell you. but still nothing. i have cleaned the distributor earth as well. i quickly put the cap on last night and plugged leads on. there is still nothing just will turn all day long and not even a kick.

is it possible that its a weak spark and when its in block it cant ignite fuel mix?

i would be grateful if anyone has any ideas.

i am starting to get v annoyed now. that i cant get it to work   >:(

regards alistair

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
Re: rover 3.5 v8 none starter
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
what colours your spark ?

I know you say you dont think fuel is an issue but have you taken your fuel line to the carb off and checked you have a decent feed at a decent pressure ?

`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

m333rcr

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »
hello

thanks for reply.  when i pull throttle cable i can see the two jets of fuel going into the cab as i have taken the pancake filter off. it has  just a standard pump.

I was a blue spark i had when i was turning it .

I will try and have another  look at the weekend and spend  some time on it. That is if its not raining which will be a shock. i bought a new coil today aswell so will put that in.

regards alistair

ZebraDriver

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:47:05 PM »
You have changed the changed the dizzy cap.  You did put the plug leads back in the correct places???? if you have them displaced by one position you will never get it to start.  You might have to verify the rotor position against the cam position to ensure the spark is going to the right plug.  The rotor arm is on correctly in its wee notch?. 

ZD

m333rcr

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »
Hi

Don't think I have mixed the leads up but I will double check. I changbed old cap as it was all corroded inside .  I thouught that would have cured it. But shows. U what I no ;D
The irotor arm def ok. as I say r will get on with it at weekend seeing i will have time.

Thanks again for help

Jack

• Name: Jack Griffiths
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 10:10:28 AM »
Always worth double checking you're at the right TDC when you're putting your leads in order as well.

Was pretty much the only thing stopping the previous owner of my 109 getting it started before I bourght it.

Where abouts are you located? Could be someone local able to give a hand.

Jack
1981 SIII 109 'Stage One' V8
1973 Range Rover project.

m333rcr

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
hi

I am in houston . i am hoping to get in about it this weekend and get a result . dont worry i will let you all now and fingers crossed

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »
houston - i was there last week.

your not north east based are you ?

`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

m333rcr

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 08:32:27 PM »
hi

sorry for the long delay found out what happen with the v8 . the distributor has been at some point put in two cylinders out of position. There was trouble as soon as i put the  new leads on.

i do think initially it was a weak spark i had  then it just snow balled after that

its all sorted i just need mot .

thanks all