P38 Range Rover - is wanting one so VERY wrong?

· 5 · 1541

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
P38 Range Rover - is wanting one so VERY wrong?
« on: September 27, 2013, 01:23:38 AM »
Ah, the P38. So many horror stories - blocks, liners, head gaskets, overheating, aircon, electrics, alarm, clunky gearboxes, air suspension .... the list of expensive things that can and frequently do go wrong is practically endless.
And yet... and yet ... I still rather fancy having one. Not instead of the Series, but as well as.
I think I may have lost it.
Talk me down please, guys!

KonZektt

• Name: Graeme Sherman
Re: P38 Range Rover - is wanting one so VERY wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »
sorry the only way to get over it or put you off is to buy one.everybody wants a range rover,and always has from the day they first rolled of the production line.the cost of maintainance is high but so is or was the cost of a new one.but the pleasure they give when driving them more than makes up for the cost and the reliability issues. it is only money but dont try and own and run one on a shoestring.
i always wanted a porsche 911 wide bodied turbo coupe would go out of may to pass the dealership in colington then i had a test drive put me right off still a nice car to look at.
regards kz

NIJ

• Name: Nigel Kelly
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:43:26 AM »
Hi Kathy, why not, you're only young once  :P
You could probably find a cheaper one than this, don't know anything about the car, but it may be worth it
http://www.strathearnengineering.com/ProductDetail/tabid/109/ProductId/47/Default.aspx
There's also a v tempting military 101 on the forecourt ......
My current hankering is for an XK8 jag - they're gorgeous with a V8 and very cheap to buy (I wonder why!) - none for sale up here though so haven't had that test drive.
Cheers, Nigel
Nigel

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 01:24:46 AM »
As my Series has misbehaved again today, it really is getting increasingly tempting. And now you've set me off on my other fetish - a 101!
Still, I've had expensive and complicated vehicles before - and they are exactly that - whatever went wrong the bill was always a minimum of £600 and it was rarely anything I could hope to tackle myself.
I have a Series because I wanted simplicity and economy of repair - plus I just adore them. Although not the current one, leastwise, not today.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 08:38:58 PM »
I really liked driving our P38, like a big leather arm-chair. Sold it to Dunc a while back and still miss it. ...but yes, often expensive to fix.
Particularly impressed by the sunroof jamming open while I was showing it to Dunc - in a snowstorm. :-) 

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....