• Name: Graeme kirkwood
Engine re-bore ???
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:10:30 AM »
Is it worth having my engine re-bored? :'(

200tdi  I presume millions of miles

No 4 piston is cracked
No 1 bore has a deep ridge at the top.

It would need new piston, full set of rings, and a full re-bore

Is there anyone who you would recommend to re-bore the engine.

is it worth it???
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: Engine re-bore ???
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »
You can probably pick up a second-hand engine for less that the cost of getting your engine re-bored (and rebuilding it yourself)

... However, will the replacement engine last? what guarantee do you have of its condition?

(and yes - the 200tdi starts without piston liners, however you can get them if the blook is over-bored.... turner engineering, amongst othes)

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »
£400 for a second hand 200tdi or rebore a known engine, I would always put my £400 into rebuilding a known lump,
The rebore and pistons plus gasket set wont come to half that but you might find the crank needs a grind and the oil pump is worn etc etc but you will end up with a very reliable engine if done right.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

GSM

• Name: Gordon McCheyne
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:19:47 PM »
Give Pitcairn Engineering a call, they might be able to help you out.  They are based between Banknock and Kelvinhead, just over the hill from Dullatur.

http://www.pitcairnengineering.co.uk.

Flying scotsman

• Name: Graeme kirkwood
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:19:30 AM »
Cheers guys, i have decided that i am just going to build a new engine from a combination of previous and newly purchased engines ;D
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln