What's this realistically worth

· 11 · 2082

Greigboy

What's this realistically worth
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:00:42 PM »
Folks I'm relatively new to the Landy scene and I'm currently on the look out for my first defender,
I've been watching this on eBay, and messaged the guy who thinks its worth 4k as it sits, he says he has an agreed valuation of £5000 on insurance.

Its on a galvy chassis which looks to have been done a long time ago, and its pretty rough bodily, an likely to need the bulkhead tops, 2 doors replaced and a respray, it also an LPG fault.
In my mind its worth £2500 to £3000 tops

Am I close to the mark?

http://bit.ly/16HRFnI
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
Re: What's this realistically worth
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 01:39:36 PM »
Looks like there's a lot if work to be done. It's also a long way to travel to be disappointed!
2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

BigPaul

• Name: BigP
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:15:01 PM »
No way is it worth that much.

P

lurch032003

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 05:32:24 PM »
Run away and keep running you will plough alot of money into it not worth anywhere near 2grand better deals available on gumtree at a better price and condition

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 05:39:40 PM »
If you have that sort of money to spend on a 90 there is one for sale on the Mud Club forum that is worth it, rather than the £400 I would give for this one - if I was wanting a pile of work to do.
Navigator          GM1VBE

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »
I suspect a close look would reveal a lot more rot in that bulkhead than the bits of filler are covering. Not worth anywhere near the money he's asking - and the LPG conversion drops its value to about ZERO as far as I'm concerned.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Greigboy

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »
Thanks folks, the galvanised chassis perhaps made me think it was worth a little more, as ive seen many complete basket cases doing over a grand, on reflection 1800 would be as far as I'd go, but I'm not bidding on it now as the guy is delusional about its value, his reserve is allegedly £3500.

Its gotta be a v8 for me I'm afraid, and the majority I've seen for sale are either ex challenge trucks that have been on their roof more than their wheels or straight ones doing moon money.
I'm a panel beater / painter, so I don't mind a fixer, I've seen another that I'm perhaps going to look at, so we'll see where that goes.

Cheers

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 08:50:30 PM »
I can agree with that. I had a factory V8 90 once, just gorgeous. Used to sit in it just to listen to that engine. It was written off by a lunatic in a co-op truck. :-(

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Greigboy

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:23:28 PM »
I can agree with that. I had a factory V8 90 once, just gorgeous. Used to sit in it just to listen to that engine. It was written off by a lunatic in a co-op truck. :-(

If i was using it daily i would get a  TDI but I'm changing jobs in a few weeks so I will be selling my tricked up L200 warrior, and getting the train to work, and I won't need a car for the daily commute, so i want something to play with at the weekend, so the plan is to get a V8 90, big part of that is nostalgia as my old man had a V8 series many many moons ago and I loved the noise off it.

That eBay one finished at £1500 reserve not met

rover51

• rover51
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »
Greig - I know of someone who may be getting rid of his to be finished 90 project
it has galvy chassis and new suspension etc.... but again very much a project
I could pass on numbers if you want a chat with him
I wish I knew more,
But then, don't we all.

Greigboy

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 09:52:10 PM »
It depends Simon on what it is and what stage of build it's at, If I was going for a fixer id prefer it to be complete in one piece as opposed to in bits.

If he is selling it feel free to pass him my email address g.gailey1978@gmail.com

Cheers

Greig