300Tdi fuel return & stalling.

· 8 · 1747

Mikey

300Tdi fuel return & stalling.
« on: August 14, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »
Hi Folks,

Fitted a new fuel tank to the Landy last week. All good, but then last night it wanted to stall when slowing down, have just been for a test drive, and it stalled twice, like it's out of fuel - which it isn't!

Oddly, since fitting the tank, when I switch off, I'm hearing the fuel pouring back into the tank from the spill return, which I've never heard before. I'm guessing this might be part of the issue, and I'm guessing airlock.
I've just bled the system as per the book, but I might go and do it again tomorrow.

Cheers in advance,

Mike
Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.

rangerovering

Re: 300Tdi fuel return & stalling.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »
Does it start straight back up again after stalling?
Steve

Mikey

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:34:14 PM »
Hiya Steve,

Yes, pretty much, but it needs throttle to keep going.
Incidentally, It took a few second to fire up first time this evening, it usually fires instantly.

Mikey.

agmech 53

• Name: Jim Wilson
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Is it drawing air somewhere? All unions/seals tight?

Mikey

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »
Hi Jim,

I'm guessing I should be looking at the fuel feed pipe to the engine? I didn't touch anything in the engine bay at all.

I did have to cut and replace couple of the fuel lines around the tank, but as far as I can see I've got everything well jointed and there's no weeping around the joins, but I'll have a good look tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Mikey.

Mikey

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:18:27 PM »
So, thinking about it more, (and sitting here with a glass of Shepherd Neames’ finest) I might have done something wrong!
I just replaced the tank and pipes to it like for like. As I said I had to cut a couple of connectors, but I’ve replaced the pipework.

The tank that came off had the (correct?) fuel return, the one on top of the tank, blanked off with a piece of hose and a bolt. The fuel returned to the pipe that comes out of the top, front, right hand corner of the tank, so, I did the same on the new tank.

I wonder if, in the old tank, that pipe extended down to the bottom of the tank, as the centre one does?  Can’t check now as it’s away to the scrappies.

If that’s the issue, what’s this pipe at the front for ?

Mikey.

agmech 53

• Name: Jim Wilson
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 06:53:30 AM »
Did you get much air out when you bled it? Try bleeding it again, see how much air comes out this time. We had the same issue with a machine that we changed the lift pump on, was drawing air, no signs of weeping etc. Had to put PTFE tape on all the unions on the new lift pump, fired up almost straight away and been fine ever since.

I'm not saying the engine end is the issue with yours, just a wee bit of air getting in to the system can cause a whole lot of trouble.

rangerovering

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 12:19:18 PM »
Worth another check of the pipework, could well be draining back to easily which is shown up when you lift off the accelerator
Steve