Another RRC Electrical issue.

· 3 · 1070

Mikey

Another RRC Electrical issue.
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »
RRC, 4.2 LSE:

I've been out driving most of the day, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glenrothes and home again, running on LPG.
Almost home when the Battery Warning light flashes on.
Pull over and notice that the lamp dims but brightens when running at higher revs, and the rev counter needle flicks about, but without any noticable change in actual engine idle speed.

Also noticed that the lambda sensor module under the bonnet has a red light on. Usually it's always green, I replaced the lambda sensors a couple of months ago becuase of irregular idling (the fault codes for sensor faults were showing up on the diagnostic gadget)

I had a glimmer on the battery warning light a while ago and, on advice, replaced the alternator, and voltage to the battery is what it should be.

I've had a good fiddle under the bonnet to see if anything had come loose etc.

Any thoughts, as usual, would be appreciated.

Mike

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:28:54 PM by Mikey »
Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.

ACM

• Name: colin miller
Re: Another RRC Electrical issue.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »
First thing Id check is for a slipping fan belt.

Colin

Mikey

Re: Another RRC Electrical issue.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:09:24 AM »
Belts all good, BUT....

I've metered out the various terminals on the alternator, 14.2 from the main feed but the IND terminal, feeding the warning lamp, is giving out 19 volts! I can't find anything to say what should or shouldn't be coming out of it, even in the repair section of the (very thick) workshop manual.

Also, evene after a very short time of running the engine the alternator is getting HOT...

I'm going to put the old alernator back in just now and see what happens.....

Mike.
Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.