Series 3 Station Wagon springs

· 6 · 1706

sparks

Series 3 Station Wagon springs
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »
Hi All,
Has anyone fitted parabolic springs to a Series 3, (mine is the station wagon), read an article about doing this but the 'ride' will be different, and needs different shocks. Or should I keep it original and fit 11 leaf springs, she leans over to the passenger side and the rear passenger spring looks less curved so suspect broken leaf/s.
I am tempted to go with parabolics as there is less maintenance, but also tempted to keep her original with new 11 leaf springs, appreciate all your thoughts.
Thanks,
Sparks

Hi All,
Thanks for the advice, I tried looking for Chris Perfect, but he retired 2004/6. However the company which now supplies the springs is www.heystee-automative.com
The kit I think I need for mine will cost around £1000 !!!, but I think I will go down this road...when I save up the dosh.
Still don't know if it will affect the value of the vehicle.
Thanks
Sparks
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:07:29 AM by sparks »

Big Rich

• Name: Richard Baird
Re: Series 3 Station Wagon springs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:15:12 PM »
I eagerly await opinions on this as I am thinking the same. My s3 will need new rears so do I save up and get the parabolics or just change the rears for originals.   Parabolics will need new shocks as they are more flexible than the originals and the original shocks wont stretch far enough.  Parabolics are allegedly just like coils but I don't think they are that good but they can make a difference compared to a rusty set of original springs.

Rich

NIJ

• Name: Nigel Kelly
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »
I fitted parabolics all round to my 88" SIII last year.  Old springs & bushes were knackered and seized, so don't know what ride should have been like before, but it's very much better now.  Still really rough on potholes etc compared to modern car, OK off road.  Bought the spring kit from Strathearn Engineering plus appropriate Procomp dampers and the 3 no. extended brake hoses due to increased articulation.  I found that good quality original type leafs were hard to find / very expensive.  It's important that springs are well made and matched.  If not too bad, I believe old leaf springs can be refurbished. Have fun, Nigel
Nigel

piper5

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 04:20:16 PM »
ten years since i did mine , they were so much nicer, do a bit research on them, mine came from chris perfect and i think were dutch made, they took lots of punishment and were great,  a friend bought cheap ones from ebay new that haveall broken

billym

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
It might just be me but I never liked the parabolics. On my swb pick up it was oversprung, might be different on the station wagon. With the paras I was changing propshaft ujs every year and it was too bouncy on normal roads. Some have non standard. spring bushes which are hard to find. Well oiled standard springs for me. My paras were cheap britparts.

Billy

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:41:52 AM »

I have been chopping and changing my parabolic suspension for a number of years and I am almost happy with it . what you do with your motor will change what you need from your setup, carrying heavy loads on roof rack and towing trailers will need stronger springs . what was fitted from factory was a compromise for most situations.
 I had #hitpart fitted to my s2a 88 , a big improvement in ride and handling but they would not take the abuse I gave them , bushes lasted a year max they went flat before they were 2 years old.
I had a look to see what was avalible  and liked the write ups on rocky mountain . they have twin leaf on front and 2 ,3 or 4 leaf on back . I was advised that  2 leaf rear springs would do me fine [aye right  :(] they were not much better than #hitpart , non standard bushes every year at eight quid each and they will eventualy go flat. you can add more leafs at a latter date if you want which is what I have done. I was advised to buy pro comp gas shocks for extra travel and improved handling [aye right  :o]  got all the parts  did a geometry check and the shocks bottom out 12 mm before the bump stops, sent them back for a full refund . I now have tripels all round on lwb shackels with hd lwb shocks , I find this setup fine for my abuses  ;D.
SO think long and hard do lots of research into what you require out of them and don't be surprised if you change something sooner rather than later.

hope this hasn't put you off parabolics they are a much better ride than rusty old ones  , and I would not go back to standard suspension.

shug...