300tdi Automatic Gearbox problems

· 5 · 1646

mgar

• Name: Mark Hayes
300tdi Automatic Gearbox problems
« on: June 10, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »
Before I remove gear box from said Land Rover, is there anything else I can check first.....
I have just driven 1400 miles non stop everything going great until I hit a hill the gearbox warning light came on and oils poured out from everywhere, I let it cool down, topped up any lost oil car drove again with no problems. Got to my destination but now the car will not change from first, reverse still ok but nothing else, Any ideas?
By the way I am now stuck in Spain where it's 25 degree and only 1 euro a bottle of wine....sorry just thought I'd add that bit!

rangerovering

Re: 300tdi Automatic Gearbox problems
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »
Where did the oil come out from?

And is the oil level still ok?

Steve

mgar

• Name: Mark Hayes
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:42:24 AM »
No idea where oil came from, But the cab filled up with smoke and it was all over the underside of the car! The oil level is staying where I left it after topping up and there is no leaking from anywhere now.

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:57:57 AM »
I'd say the existing oil is burnt, and needs replaced.

If you can, also swap the oil-filter - http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Autobox_Oil.html is for a Discovery2, but the process is essentially the same

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:25:32 PM »
Try the oil and filter change, if there was smoke you may well have burnt the clutch pack and the box needs rebuilt.
Steve