Good spray shop recommendations

· 9 · 2367

Dave T

Good spray shop recommendations
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:13:59 AM »
Whilst driving down the M6 last week I was hit by a lump of something, causing a large chip on my door.

Does anyone know a very good paint shop (at a reasonable price), I don't mind travelling to Edinburgh, Ayr or Perth areas for the right place, but it must be the best quality as this is my Discovery 4.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
Re: Good spray shop recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
The 2, I would recommend are Jacksons in Kelty and David Philp Coachworks in Camps ind. est. West Calder

I use Jacksons as they are very local to me and do a great job. I’ve used them twice (much to the annoyance of the insurance company) on the wife’s cars, both were under 3yo at the time of repair.

David Philp Coachworks are a top end repairer. They came 2nd in the UK (last year I think) and Davis senior won a lifetime achievement award from the industry (2013)
They concentrate on large vehicles but are equally at home on cars/vans. 01506 882212

If you want a top end job then its DPC, if you want a great job that is very reasonably priced then use Jacksons.

Just my opinion, im sure others will be along to help you out.

Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »
Sorry to hear that Dave - Liz ran into a log that had fallen off an over-loaded trailer on Friday, panning in the front bumper and valance on her van. Luckily no damage to steering etc as far as I can tell but the plastic valance is ripped to shreds. Strangely enough the other driver did not stop......  Grrr.   

There is a good repair guy in Callander but he usually has a very long waiting list. Did the bodywork repair and respray on my 90 after I rolled it, and at a very reasonable price. If you don't find anywhere closer I can check out his current work-load !

G.   
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Flying scotsman

• Name: Graeme kirkwood
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:38:36 AM »
Dave

Paul Mclearn in kirkintilloch,  http://www.mclarens.biz/

Fist class, highly recommend
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

iain152

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »
Have used this place many times.
Stuart Roden Motors

Edinburgh Road, Glendevon
by Winchburgh, West Lothian
EH52 6PX
West Lothian
EH52 6PX

01506 890724
   01506 891724

piper5

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »
ask your main dealer who they recomend, they generally have a smart repair guy in a van that does the forecourt stuff and some of these guys are incredible at small repairs, whereas a body shop will paint at least a panel to make it blend in, and it will almost always be noticable on a metallic car

Dave T

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
Got a decent price from dentec in rutherglen after recommendations on another forum, getting the bonnet done at the same time as I picked up a nasty chip right on the front edge so £600 for two doors (for blending) and bonnet. Not too bad a price all things considered, I'd rather pay a touch more to ensure its back to perfect.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Alan Mc

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
I'd second Stuart Roden motors.  Always does a top job.  Alan.

Piwi

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 07:10:17 PM »
Allan Dougan, in Auchterarder. He used to do a lot of re spray jobs for Strathearn Engineering. They spray lorries and agricultural machinery and do an excellent job.  Tel 01764 662086
300 tdi , 3 door discovery
200 tdi 110 utility
300 tdi 90
200 tdi 110 csw
Td5 Discovery
Currently 97 Japanese import 300 tdi Discovery.