Started changing my clutch today on my TD 5 defender.

· 8 · 1538

corbett891

Started changing my clutch today on my TD 5 defender.
« on: February 23, 2013, 08:05:13 PM »
Well as above,

5 hours in, so far I have managed to break the two bolts holding the middle section of the exhaust together. Guess I will have to try to drill them out later when I eventually get round to putting the exhaust back  together.

Do you need to disconnect the front pipe on the exhaust as well?

Also one of the 10 mm bolts which holds the clutch slave cylinder in is a bit tricky to get to.

Hopefully tomorrow with the use of a recently acquired engine crane I am hoping to finish disconnecting everything and slide the transmission back enough to change the clutch,  release and spigot bearing, and dual mass flywheel, I am kind of thinking of doing it that way, rather than take the cross member off and dropping it down, has anybody else done it that way?

Hopefully anyway,

Il keep u posted,

Luckily enough I have another 3 days off so all going well it should be complete by then.

Is the spigot bearing easy to get out?

Many thanks,

John

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
Re: Started changing my clutch today on my TD 5 defender.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:30:01 PM »
Dont remember removing exhaust downpipe , removing starter motor is pain in the a*#e , I removed crossmember easily done using wooden blocks and a bottle jack to gently push chassis legs apart , same for putting crossmember back in plus some grease as lube.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

corbett891

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for all the advice so far, as I received a personal message of Ruari.

I won't lie its been a hell of a day today.

I have only just finished and all that I have achieved today is taking the gearbox off and laying it on my drive under the landrover.

Tomorrow  I am going to try and replace the clutch parts and the spigot bearing.

Then I feel the real challange will be putting it all back together.

Some nice person left me a business card for a local landrover garage in Helensburgh on my windscreen, in hindsight I feel this may have been the better option :-)

Well hopefully it won't get much worse, however I am not optimistic, from what I have read so far putting it all back together is going to be a bit of a mare.

Ah well nothing ventured nothing gained I guess :-)

All the best,

John

corbett891

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »
So this morning I realised that I hadn't disconnected the crank sensor on the bell house housing, which has now ripped the wiring out of the switch, and I can't get the spigot bearing out.

Anybody got any ideas how to solve the above problem, as all I have now is a broken landrover on my drive in the Helensburgh area :-(

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:52:16 PM »
Is there anyway you could use a tap on the spigot bearing and screw a bolt in to pull it out or a easy out , I work in helensburgh and could pass by for moral support on way home. finish at five .
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

diesel jock

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »
pack the centre of the spigot bearing with grease and using a piece of rod thats a snug fit in the bearing give it a good chap in and the pressure should pop the bearing out

corbett891

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »
Okay,

Got the spigot bearing out, had to go for hammer and chisel method in the end,

Question,

R u meant to soak the new spigot bearing in oil overnight before pressing it in, or do you just press it in?

Many thanks,

John

piper5

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:25:42 PM »
i normally smear it with grease (spigot bush :P) theres often a small tube with the clutch kit