I know its not land rover related but does anyone on here work offshore.

· 14 · 3310

scotdub

OK First off I would like to say. I have been recently applying for jobs offshore and was looking to see if any landrover owners have a job offshore. Looking to get a start as an industrial painter or just a roustabout job.
 I have completed my bosiet , mist and banksman/slinger. Im finding it difficult to get a start.

So my question is how did you manage to get a start?
Is rope access a good idea? I have been a painting in a bodyshop for 7 years. I now have 6 months industrial painting experiance along with welding and general pier maintenace but no qualification in that industry.
So is there any advice you could give me to help or is it just keep on them sending cv's and phoning.

So any help would be muchly appreciated.

Gary

bertracoon1616

Re: I know its not land rover related but does anyone on here work offshore.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »
Hi mate

I worked offshore doing wireline for Aker Solutions for 2 years, im currently taking a year out to finish my 4th year of uni with intention of going back to it.

It really helps if you know someone already in the business, thats how i got in. It looks like you have done the courses worth doing so thats a good start. Have you got a recent medical certificate? Thats something i had to do when i started and need a check up every 2 years. As far as the rope course goes i never did it but im not sure if being a painter or a rousty it would be more nessacary.

From chatting with some of the boys out there, they say its pretty competative, but it sounds like you just need to carry on as you are, being persistent is the key. Keep at them and the cant ignore you forever.

Good laugh if you can get into it even if you do get the odd bit of "cabin fever".

Ally
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »
Hi Gary,

My son works off shore as an ROV pilot, he has been on rigs and boats , I will email him and see if he can give you any tips, he is currently off the coast of Africa and home next month.  I'll copy your post on to him.

Cheers
Donald

scotdub

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply Ally,
 Sounds like a good job. what sort of qualifications did you need to get into doing wireline jobs?
 I have friends that work offshore but have nnot been doing it long and don't have enough say to get me a start. they have been helping me try and get a job but one is a hydraulic tech and the other just started as a mechanic. I have no qualifications in mechanics or hydraulics but have had some experiance in them. Its hard getting past reception and hr departments. good luck with your 4th year. What are you studying?

Gary

Thanks donald. Could you ask him if doing the rov tech course in fortwilliam underwater center is a worth while thing to do or a big waste of money.

Gary

tio

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
Gary  it can be hard to break into, and generally most offshore companys rip the hole out there guys, but keep hacking away though, it will be picking up pretty soon, most maintanance jobs are getting squeezed at the moment because of the problems with the heli's, you could do with getting some blasting exp as sprayer and blaster goes hand in hand, do your rope ticket as it makes you more employable which is the name of the game, look to progress as a paint inspector (nace) i think it is, dont bother with anybody else's as  nobody recognises it, offshore isnt the be all, there is a lot of work coming off in ardisier which if you get in they'll teach you to blast esp off the ropes, also bear in mind whats happening in Algeria most of the jobs you will get sent to are either in or close to conflict areas,  gary where are you maybe we could meet up ?? if your not too far away from motherwell

scotdub

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »
Hi Tio,
  Thanks for all the info. Yeah I was going to do the opito painter/blaster trainee course aswell as the rope access just so I have some offshore qualification the hr department recognise ,Although there are no guarentees to getting a job. I know offshore is not the be all and end all so have been applying to the wind industry for blade repair and any onshore companies for rope work. Have done a bit of shot blasting years ago but nothing like what they do in the offshore industry. my way was not very enviromentaly friendly. I would like to work up to inspector. My friend has told me abit about nace. I understand there are alot of risks involved when your in the oil industry and venture out of uk waters. The ardisier sounds interesting do you have abit more info on this? So what is it you do yourself? I live in Oban so its a bit of a trek to motherwell but thanks for the invite.

tio

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 01:53:03 PM »
e-mail sent ;)

scotdub

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »
Reply sent :D

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »
I do completions projects internationally for a large service co.

I know this may seem mad but the biggest thing that made a difference to me was moving to aberdeen

Soon as i moved up as my mrs came up to do her teaching degree,  i was then getting asked to interviews left right and centre from not getting any acknowledgment.

Know anyone in aberdeen whos address you can use on applications till you can get a job - or do you intend to travel from oban for your checkins ? - if so then do not lie about your address as it will bite you.
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

scotdub

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 10:45:22 AM »
Thanks top drive,

I don't mind the travel is only 4 hours from me to aberdeen. I do have a friend in aberdeen but he is renting his house out at the moment. But might be worth a go.

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 09:07:40 AM »
dont suggest you lie about your address unless you intend to move up here once you have a job.

a short check based on an aberdeen address might leave you in a bit of a pickle.

`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

scotdub

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
Yeah I was thinking that it would be a bad Idea. don't have my rocket car anymore unfortunatly. Im quite happy commuting from Oban.

R.G.P.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 04:02:03 AM »
Hi Mate,

I currently work offshore in the North Sea, things are looking good here for a number of years to come with a lot of old rigs getting re-commisioned.  If it's rousty/maint. work you are looking for get a CV together and go round the agencies.  My brother had no offshore experience but had done all the relevant courses.  He went into the offices every couple of weeks so they got to know his face and after a couple of months he got a trip with Diamond Offshore as a rousty through Offshore Marine Services, he did 3 trips and they offered him a contract.  The aim of the game is persistance.

It helps to know people who are already working offshore, but it's not impossible to get a job if you don't.

Good luck.

Robin
LR90 2.5td (until it melts)
currently a nice shade of primer grey

scotdub

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »
Thanks Robin.

Thats great news for him. OMS are so hard to get a job with. They keep saying to me" we are not hireing any new starts untill 2014" . Then you hear that there is going to be another 120,000 jobs coming up in the north sea and they can't get the staff??? Hard work but will get there.