Oil Pressure Light

· 4 · 1517

tgreer

Oil Pressure Light
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:31:05 PM »
Hi all

The oil pressure light is on in my series 3. I suspect this is due to the non standard engine being in it and not having anything rigged up to the sensor.

I know the oil pressure is fine as there's a gauge in the dash which displays the oil pressure and appears fine (fluctuates with rpm)

Is there any way of rigging the oil pressure light to my gauge, or if not any way of disabling it with a resistor or something?

Thanks
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: Oil Pressure Light
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:30:37 PM »
To stop the light coming on..... remove the bulb :)

To make something work.... you need to find out what the Essex V6 does for oil pressure: is it a switch or connected to a gauge? If its a switch, is it normally closed (pressure opens the switch, therefore the lamp is no longer earthed, therefore it goes out) or normally open (not sure how these work....)

tgreer

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »
To stop the light coming on..... remove the bulb :)

To make something work.... you need to find out what the Essex V6 does for oil pressure: is it a switch or connected to a gauge? If its a switch, is it normally closed (pressure opens the switch, therefore the lamp is no longer earthed, therefore it goes out) or normally open (not sure how these work....)

Thanks. I think I'll have a look at the gauge today and see what's what. Maybe I need to wire the light in parallel or something...
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

tgreer

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »
Ok, so I checked this out. If i disconnect the cable from the sender switch (the engine has both a sender switch and a pressure gauge pipe) the light goes out, so I suspect the sender switch is faulty. To the internet!
3.0L V6 Ford Essex