Sheared thermostat filler plug

· 5 · 1233

Malc

Sheared thermostat filler plug
« on: January 13, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
The small 99p plug on top of the thermostat housing on my 300tdi disco just caused me a day of woe....

The plug sheared off leaving the threaded part in the housing. Out comes the thermostat so I can dig the rest of the plug out. But it breaks up into lots of wee bits and as careful as I was, a dirty big chuck goes down the housing and into the cylinder head. Oh dear.  :'( With the hose pipe in the top of the radiator and after lots of reving there was no sign of the blighter. So off comes the serp belt, ac belt, ac pump and thermostat housing. It was just sitting there in the coolant gallery laughing at me. Housing back on, thermostat back in, ac pump back on, belts on, hoses done up and a day later, of being rained and snowed on,  that coolant top up job that would take ten mins was done.  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
Re: Sheared thermostat filler plug
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
Feel the pain my td5 top hose plastic drain plug sheared after fitting new water pump day before a green run .  New hose down in money and missing a green run :(. Think there is a brass version for the 300tdi .
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

piper5

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
these plugs can be replaced with standard plumbing plugs they are 1/2 " bsp  just make sure they are the flange type rather than taper. diy stores sell them as radiator end plugs

allyipod

• Name: Ally Conlon
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »
They will also take a washing machine valve same thread. Just use some ptfe tape on the threads. Then bleeding is a doddle.
mm0pod

Malc

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
Thanks for the tips fellas, but I had a brass one on me defender - it seized and what a job to get it out. 252 shop in Dumfries (great store) advised getting plastic ones as they don't seize. This seems to be true, but they don't last that long before getting brittle. I reckon best bet is to use plastic ones, but treat as disposable. Use a new one every time they have to come out, or at least every couple of years. Has anyone tried the X-Eng aluminium ones??
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8