Transfer box problems. No Drive in High or Low. FIXED

· 7 · 1643

banzia

• Name: james
Transfer box problems. No Drive in High or Low. FIXED
« on: December 21, 2012, 09:31:48 PM »
Hi,
I have a 1995 300 tdi with a drive problem. LT230T transfer box
Will not drive in either High or Low But will in diff lock.
Checked that High and low selector is working ok, Seems like the rear output shaft to the rear prop-shaft flange is spinning and not turning rear prop-shaft.
Is it possible to remove the Input shaft with gears through the access plate on bottom of box  without taking box out.
thanks for any info.
james

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:34:51 AM by banzia »
I Need To Stop Eating Biscuits

allen

Re: Transfer box problems. No Drive in High or Low
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »
I have a few transfer boxes here if you need one  :)

banzia

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:22:36 PM »
Hi Alan,
Can you tell me if the tranfer box can be removed without removing the gearbox.
Can you tell me how much you would want for one and your location. It would be good to know if I decide to replace rather than try and fix.
my mobile is: 07899 021081 or you can send  private message
james

stage recovery

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:27:47 AM »
Transfer box will drive the output flange with the least resistance, ie a broken half shaft or cv joint. Putting it in difflock joins both output flanges together therefore driving the unbroken side thus making the motor move.Are you sure the problem is in the transfer box? A stripped input gear/shaft would result in no drive whatsoever. To check input gear/shaft remove the circular cover on the rear of the transfer box,its a common problem on boxes without the later modified input gear to wear away the splines,but as I said earlier, no drive at all is the result.

banzia

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »
Thanks stage...
I have just recently replaced my gearbox because the mainshaft had stripped, I also replaced the main Input/output shaft in the transfer box with the new design that has the cross section holes drilled in it. I rebuilt the transferbox didnt replace and other gears or the lower output shaft that splines into propshaft flange splines.

I am assuming that as the landrover will move slowly in difflock the mainshaft and the transfer input shaft is functioning ok.

At the moment the problem  appears to me to be related to the rear prop not turning.

How would I check for halfshaft problems

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:22:35 AM by banzia »

banzia

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 06:56:09 AM »
I will be following stages advice and checking my from cv/halfshafts. From what he has told me it does seem likely that because the front prop shaft is spinning in High/Low while gear selected, the transfer box is turning the prop with least resistance..
Will post the results once I have checked it out..
merry Christmas to Everyone
james

banzia

Re: Transfer box problems. No Drive in High or Low. FIXED
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
Following the advise I was given I finally got time last night to take a proper look at front axle as advised by stage...

When up on the wheel free ramp I spun each front wheel to see if there was any obvious diff between them. First thing that was noticeable was when you turned one wheel slowly the other stayed still, I think normally the diff would make the other turn also, This gave me a fright because I then started thinking I had a diff problem... So I spun the wheels faster by hand and there was a diff in noise from N/S/F.  I started to strip that side and just as I was taking the driving member flange off I noticed that the halfshaft could turn without the flange.. This shouldnt happen because they are splined together,  and that was that!  My N/S/F driving member was badly worn and was allowing the halfshaf /cv  to turn...  I had one at home so , cleaned up the Splines on the CV joint /shaft and it worked....

Big thanks to the forum for help Especially! stage who took the time to explain why it had to be front axle related and NOT transfer box..
Happy new year to everyone ....
james
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:47:15 AM by banzia »