No dip beam

· 11 · 5012

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
No dip beam
« on: December 13, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »
Hi,

Dip beam has stopped working on my landrover 90 ??? Side lights and full beam still working, it's had an upgrade to flat/smooth headlamp units with halogen bulbs.

Not had time to look at it yet but have wiggled the switch and thumped the wings hoping it was a lose wire,
Are the dipped beams fused separately from main beam ?  Didn't think so but could be wrong.

Cheers

Donald

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
Re: No dip beam
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 10:19:45 AM »
The each light on the td5 has its own fuse that is left dip left full right dip right full. Not sure how the older defenders were fused.
Start with the obvious and check fuses then bulbs. It could be a coincedence that both have blown. Whilst the lamp is off check for power with a test lamp / meter   failing that I would look at the switch stalk.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

maz

• Name: Martyn
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »
I had the same problem. Here is a copy paste from a forum which I posted the solution:

Just to let folk know what the problem was in the end.

I replaced the indicator/horn stalk, and it corrected the problem. I also tried the Lucas 12v pink switch first of all just in case and it didn't correct the problem.

The part number for the stalk is : STC439

Apparently the reason this happens is because the dim/dip feed goes through the indicator stalk before going to the smaller dim/dip stalk, and if the contact is broken then dim/dip doesn't get the connection.

Also if anyone is stuck in the dark and has this problem, simply cut the blue wire and the blue/red wire going into the indicator stalk and join them together, then the smaller dim/dip switch should work allowing you to get home as a temp fix!

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:39:22 PM »
The innards of the switch are junk, the contacts heat up and melt their way into the the surrounding plastic until they no longer make contact.  Same happened to me last summer. Dismantle and scrape out of melted plastic achieved a temp repair, New stalk sorted it.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

kvz2000

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
Thanks Guys,

I plan to have a look at it  tomorrow, been too cold in the evenings , hopefully I can get the Xmas tree up and lights up then all the other jobs the Mrs has lined up for me , then I will get to the Landrover,

Cheers
Donald

kvz2000

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 03:53:27 PM »
Hi guys,

Managed to have a quick look at lights today, there are 4 fuses for the full/dip beam but they are fine , I think it's the stalk but can't get steering wheel off so gave up , taking it to my mechanic, he says steering wheel needs a puller to get it off, and he thinks its the stalk and will have one lying about .

No big problem just annoying but it's a landrover and I should expect things like this ,

Cheers

Donald

maz

• Name: Martyn
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »
Steering wheel shouldn't need a puller mate, just remove the inner cap, and bolt. Grab the wheel at the 9 & 3 o clock position and give it a wiggle, then do the same at the 6 and 12 o clock position. It will eventually come free.

If you want to avoid banging it off your nose then leave the bolt on but loose :P

kvz2000

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
Cheers Max,

It's off to mechanic now , Itbis really tight.

Anyway will glad to get it fixed, I managed to blind everyone on way to mechanics with full beam on including spots.

Donald.

kvz2000

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »
Well Landy back from my mechanics and he eventually found that the loss of dipped beam was down to both fuses being faulty !!!!!

Remember that the lights had been working fine and both went out one night for no reason, I had checked the fuses and as they are the glass ones I could see the fuse wire running through them so like my mechanic I thought they were fine.

After looking at several other possibilities my mechanic found that although the fuses looked fine power was not getting through them, they were changed and lights working fine.

What we don't understand is what would cause both fuses to stop letting power through, I could understand if they had blown !! But they hadn't.

Anyway I hope that I can have some trouble free fun over the festive season.

Just wanted to share the above with all of you , in case for some reason an electrical item stops working and the fuses look okay , don't take it for granted that they are fine.

Cheers

Donald

Malc

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »
Donald, I've had fuses where the end caps are corroded. Or the wire detaches from the end cap inside where you can't see it. The fuse looks fine, but no power. When checking fuses always put your test lamp over both sides of them to be sure. Glad you got it sorted.;)
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

kvz2000

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 10:21:13 PM »
Cheers Malc,

Yes that would appear to have happened to mine , I will know better next time,

Donald.