300 tdi starting problem

· 5 · 1678

BigPaul

• Name: BigP
300 tdi starting problem
« on: December 05, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »
Had a starting problem on and off for a while now, worse when it's cold. It's not the battery a it's new & higher output than required. If I leave it sitting for around a week it can be reluctant to start; jump leads & fires up 1st thing. If I keep using it every couple of days after this there's no problem, first turn & it's away.

Haven't been able to get out for a few weeks & now the jump leads wont get it going. It starts to turn over slowly but won't catch, eventually the lights on the dashboard start clicking like crazy. Could it be the alternator? I've got new glow plugs to fit but I've since read that this engine doesn't need them anyway.

Any ideas?

jbacon

Re: 300 tdi starting problem
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »
I have had starting problems recently, and i have ordered new glow plugs in the hope that they will resolve the slow starting.

Could you have a fuel supply problem? You could be loosing fuel pressure at the injectors over time, hence the longer you leave it, the worse it gets. If this is the case you are looking at new/reconditioned injector pumps but would possible rule out the fuel pump/filter first!

The "clicking like crazy" occurs when the battery is running out of juice. I have seen many garages run a free winter safety check where they will check if you alternator is charging properly. May be worth checking as if the battery is not topped up fully you will get slow cranking.

I hope to get my glow plugs before this weekend, so it will be interesting to see what difference they make.

jonathan

BigPaul

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:14:35 PM »
From input on another forum  ::), it's thought that it may be an earthing problem.  I'm going to investigate this first as it seams the easiest to asses at the moment.  Will update in due course.

P

jbacon

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:58:30 PM »
Could be - a jump lead from the main block to the battery could be the easiest way to test it!

BigPaul

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »
Problem solved.  Tried starting again with the jump leads and same response, no starting.  As soon as I earthed it on the block it went first time.  The only thing I have to do now is repair it!  Thanks for the input.

P