Diff Lock

· 4 · 1450

Phil H

• Name: Phil Haydon
Diff Lock
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »
Hi All,

I am a newbie from Essex and have recently bought a discovery 300Tdi and I am looking for some help please. When I try and engage diff lock the orange light on the dash doesn't come on. Does this mean the diff lock isn't working or could it be that the warning light isn't working?
Is there a simple way to test?

kevin18050

Re: Diff Lock
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »
GET IT  IN MUD YOU'LL SOON FIND OUT  ;)

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:54:37 PM »
Hi Phil,

Find an open space - a car park will do - and drive in a circle, slowly, at full lock, noting the feel and sounds and especially how the back of the wagon behaves.

Then, do the same with difflock engaged. If it is working, you should notice a substantial difference as the wheels skip (the differential, which allows them normally to turn at different rates, is locked remember) as you turn.

If there's no noticeable difference, then ... well, I think you get the picture!

Hope this helps

Kathy

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
Wide open flat space, block of wood tall enough to just lift a wheel off the ground, engage diff lock and try to drive away. If you can move then diff lock is working.

Sometimes it take a little bit of movement to engage the lock, same as when disengaging it.
Steve