Engine pre heater Yay or Nay?

· 7 · 1503

Tall_Paul_

• Name: Paul Phillips
Engine pre heater Yay or Nay?
« on: November 01, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »
Has anyone fitted a engine pre heater to their defender? I was looking at one yesterday but i wasnt sure if it would be worth the money and how easy it would be to fit. Any advice would be very much appreciated

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
Re: Engine pre heater Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:57:41 PM »
it all depends on how cold you expect it to get - we used them in norway and in canada - but it was well bellow -30 over there  ???
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

ZebraDriver

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
I used to have one fitted to a 109 SIII.  Easy thing to fit, just bolt it to the inner wing, pipe it into a heater hose and bring the socket out to a sensible point. Great thing in the winter - heat the engine for half an hour before seting off.  Saved the running on choke and heat straight away meaning no misted windows.  If your very clever you can add a timer that fires up the cars heater fan to warm the interior before you get in.  Just remember to unplug it before you set off!

Having said all of that I would look for a S/H one as they are a bit pricey when new!!

ZD

stage recovery

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 11:22:53 PM »
Are you meaning a mains powered unit or a fuel powered one? I spotted a compact diesel unit in a Merc Sprinter van that heats up very quickly.

maz

• Name: Martyn
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:18:26 AM »
I've got the engine pre heater matrix from a freelander that my brother in law got me to make an in-cabin heater, but I haven't the foggiest how to go about setting it up. I'm more interested in perhaps getting a diesel heater with a timer etc. Is it a generic sprinter heater you have found or just a one off?

stage recovery

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 08:25:39 PM »
Have seen same heater fitted to 3 vans, all  ex CR Smith glazing.

Tall_Paul_

• Name: Paul Phillips
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »
I was going down the mains powered side but now I think about it a fuel powered  one would probably be more beneficial on the hills where there is no electricity supply available!!