Lift pump.

· 8 · 1424

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
Lift pump.
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
After changing my fuel tank and bracket on my 90 300tdi, I got about 40 miles until the engine started coughing and dying.  After changing the fuel filter and re-bleeding the fuel it started and then done exactly the same thing. The lift pump seems to take a while to fill the filter up and it doesn't seem to have great pressure on the diesel. The engine only seems to run until the fuel in the filter is used up then conk out again. Is there a simple test to see if the lift pump is pulling enough fuel or is there another way for it to draw air into the system. Or should I just get a new lift pump ?  Somebody suggested to me that a ball vacuum pump from a Peugot was a better way to go. Any suggestions are more than welcome.....              Thanks   Duncan
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

Flying scotsman

• Name: Graeme kirkwood
Re: Lift pump.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »
Duncan

The lift pump on my 200tdi was runing like a broken thing, i got one from ebay for £12.50 delivered, problem sorted. ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:41:16 PM by Pilot Custard »
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »
Just fit a new one it`s a five minuet job and not expensive.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

Dunc

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:44:09 PM »
 :o  :o Looks like I've temp fixed it by bleeding the system, tightened the bleed screw and kept pumping pressure in to the system then started the engine and ran up to temp, all ok revved it ,drove it round still all ok. However I am going to change it anyway.. Any recommendations as to type or just get an OE part...????

jbacon

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »
I spent £100 for a genuine pump from Landrover just to find that the Britpart ones for Paddock are just as good.

DRH

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »
Was it running ok before you replaced the tank?   If it was, its unlikely that the lift pump is the culprit.

Check all pipes and unions are all tight to prevent it drawing air, but equally important if the tank has been moved, make sure no rubber hoses are kinked restricting the fuel supply.  I had this on a Ford Granada I changed the tank on. 

The way the pipes ended up along of the tank when it was pushed up into place meant they sat at an angle and restricted the amount of fuel getting to the carb when the engine was under load.  From the underside it looked ok, but it was only when the tank was lowered I could see the kink in the hard plastic.

Duncan

Dunc

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »
 :)  Thanks for all the advice, Duncan the hoses were kept well out of the way to make sure I didn't check or kink them and ensured that they were tightened up. I am beginning to wonder if the only problem I caused was by not bleeding it properly. Since Thursday it has ran ok, after I re-bled the system, then once I had closed the bleed screw I kept priming it for another minute and the rest as they say is history as it has never done it again. However I am not convinced that the lift pump is delivering the pressure it should so I will replace it any way..................
                                  Duncan

Dunc

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »
 ???  ??? I am going to change the lift pump, is there anything else I need to watch out for ?  Thanks   Duncan