Series 3 Diesel Engine replacement

· 4 · 1307

JimboH

• Name: Jimbo
Series 3 Diesel Engine replacement
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »
I'm new to this game. Have just bought a 1982 series 3 2.25 diesel in bits. New chassis and running gear however, so worth rebuilding.
The Question I have is, do I take a chance and stick the old chugger back in, or, get it refurbished before putting back, or as a local garage suggested, replace with a 200 or even 300Tdi?
Any thoughts / previous experiences would be greatly appreciated before I start work on the restoration.
Many thanks
Jim

rangerovering

Re: Series 3 Diesel Engine replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 11:02:41 AM »
Hi Jim

Firstly it depends what you want to use the truck for - lots of miles/everyday use would suggest the newer engines would be better (with or without turbo).

However for originality and cost the old 2.25 will plod on for a long time and if properly set up is actually an acceptable little engine.

If going Tdi the brakes will need upgraded to twin leading shoes on the front AS A MINIMUM. Even without the turbo you are putting 50% more power through the wheels and need to be able to stop properly. Keeping the turbo will put a lot of strain on the gearbox especially if high mileage and transmission upgrades are not a 2 min job!

Depending on the intended useage, I would lean towards either a non turbo tdi engine or rebuilding the 2.25. The cost will not be that much different (Tdi's still demand silly money for the age and mileage of them) and you will know exactly what you are driving.

My own 2 penneth would be for using the 2.25 at the moment, changing to the later engine is an easy job that can be tackled in a weekend.
Steve

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:26:20 PM »
2.5 n/a is a good plodder - had one and it was good -ex military re-cons available  :D
2.5 TD in at the moment - good if you can find a reliable one - this is the second one - they rn ok and seem quieter than my friends with 200tdi's in  ;D

both these and the 200tdi are bolt in replacements - but do bear in mind the exhaust will have to be completely changed and odds and sods modified to fit  ???

various forums will have covered all this as well as the various landy mags out there  ;)

it all comes down to what is available and how much you can afford to spend  ::)
as for brake upgrades - i agree twin leading shoe is the way to go - best/cheapest way is fit the front axle from a series 2 or 3 lwb
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

JimboH

• Name: Jimbo
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:18:22 PM »
Chaps, Thanks very much for your Helpful replies - much appreciated.
Based on your advice Ill give the old engine a go.  Along with all the bits also came a brand new
shiny exhaust system. It'll be easier to fit it all together if I keep it as standard.
Cheers
Jim