Defender rear bumperettes on a S3 109

· 9 · 2356

tgreer

Defender rear bumperettes on a S3 109
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »
Hi

I'm trying to get some antenna mounting stuff on my land rover... Seems the stuff for a series is unobtainable. Would Defender rear bumperettes fit on a Series 3?

http://www.sema4radios.com/100820/info.php?p=2&pid=5626484&ack=9

Thanks

Thomas
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Defender rear bumperettes on a S3 109
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 06:24:06 PM »
I think the holes will be wrong. On a 90/110 - and the item in the pic - the holes on the outside are closer together as the cross member tapers. If you have a military series cross member it'll not taper, holes in a rectangle ? ....you could drill it but it'll look weird.

Better to fabricate a holder. If I remember correctly its only a bit of metal with a key-hole cut for the antenna base, the actual mounting strength comes from the clamp at roof height ?
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

tgreer

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
I think the holes will be wrong. On a 90/110 - and the item in the pic - the holes on the outside are closer together as the cross member tapers. If you have a military series cross member it'll not taper, holes in a rectangle ? ....you could drill it but it'll look weird.

Better to fabricate a holder. If I remember correctly its only a bit of metal with a key-hole cut for the antenna base, the actual mounting strength comes from the clamp at roof height ?

That was my understanding. Am I as well getting a series bumperette and welding one of the ground mounting plates to it or something?
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

genem

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »
Probably a plan - Do you have sight of the mast foot to check what it looks like ?

aqms987

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
I have fitted bumperettes from a series 3 onto a Defender in the past without great difficulty so can't see any probs the other way around.

genem

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:21:05 PM »
^^^^ Surely one of the outside edge mounting holes of the S3 item would have been hanging in mid-air, while going the other way will require drilling the Defender crossmember ?   

tgreer

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 11:37:12 AM »
Probably a plan - Do you have sight of the mast foot to check what it looks like ?

Looks like: http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/rays-tek/DSCF6705-1.jpg
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

genem

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 09:53:38 PM »
Hmmm. The mounting plate I remember had a keyhole cut in it that looked as if it was made to accept a "mushroom", if you get what I mean. That looks as if it would be happier sitting on a flat plate with a decent circular lip of the right diameter ?

....I have to admit that maybe 10 years ago I gave away an old 2A FFR that had been used as an antenna demonstrator by RACAL. It had mounting plates on the bumperettes and clamps at roof height for Clark masts.... Kicked myself ever since !

tgreer

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »
Hmmm. The mounting plate I remember had a keyhole cut in it that looked as if it was made to accept a "mushroom", if you get what I mean. That looks as if it would be happier sitting on a flat plate with a decent circular lip of the right diameter ?

....I have to admit that maybe 10 years ago I gave away an old 2A FFR that had been used as an antenna demonstrator by RACAL. It had mounting plates on the bumperettes and clamps at roof height for Clark masts.... Kicked myself ever since !

:( Remind me to kick you too for that! (Coming to driving day on Sunday?)

That sounds about right shapewise...
3.0L V6 Ford Essex