For sale: Series 3, 200DI 2.5

· 5 · 1054

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
For sale: Series 3, 200DI 2.5
« on: August 23, 2012, 02:48:15 AM »
For sale £2,250 - our excellent long-distance Series 3 '88.

We love our Landy and she's known to users of this forum for her many long distance trips, ranging from the far north of Scotland to the south of France. However, it has become apparent that with the amount of kit the family carry around, we need a 109 station wagon - so it's time to sell her.

She is a very well sorted and reliable wagon, first registered in 1978.

Engine is a 200DI - that's a 200TDI minus the turbo to reduce strain on the transmission. The result is a stronger, more economical powerplant than the standard Series 2.25 diesel.  Ours was engineered in 2011 by Richard Hall of Glencoyne Engineering, who is the leading authority on the 200DI converson. Our engine has a Defender head and a Disco bottom end. Very economical, returning around 37mpg and giving a range of 400 miles. Unlike most 200DI conversions, ours has a mechanical fan. Radiator was new last year, as was exhaust system.

Gearbox is an as-new rebuild by Beaumont 4x4, installed this weekend. It is warranted for three months.

Clutch is Borg & Beck unit fitted new in June and had done only 2,500 miles since.

Freewheeling hubs are of the automatic variety and, I am told (by Richard Hall at Glencoyne - and he should know) very rare and desirable.

Suspension is parabolic at the front and standard leaf at the rear - a setup we like as it gives a good on-road compromise between suppleness and crisp handling without too much body roll. Front shocks were new last year, rear the year before.

Swivels are in good order but are original and have some pitting and thus weep a little. I don't use one-shot, preferring EP90 and regular use of FWD to keep the bearings properly lubed. UJs and prop all fine.
 Wheel bearings all in good order and the seals were changed this spring.

Chassis - original and sound. Outriggers and front dumb irons have been done. Rear crossmember heavily plated and sound, if slightly ugly. Tow hitch.

Bulkhead and body - bulkhead is sound and she has had new driver-side A-pillar this year. Footwells new and galvanised and new splash plates.

She has been resprayed over the past two years in her original bronze green. We did this ourselves, using properly matched undercoats and topcoats and a high-quality sprayer. It is not concourse, but far superior to a roller jobs and I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Front doors and windows were replaced last year with new units; rear door completely rust-free.  We have a painted and ready to fit passenger underseat box and seatbox side.

Exmoor Trim front seats (worn but not disgusting) and cubby box in front and a single fold-away Exmoor Trim  forward-facing seat and seatbelt in back, plus one bench seat.

Tyres are road-biased Firestones with plenty of tread.

She comes with a full, galvanised roof rack.

Mot until April, taxed until end of October.

If you want to view - and I strongly suggest that you do - she can be seen by appointment at LCS Engineering, in Helensburgh. I've attached a couple of pictures, but don't have recent ones of that show off the underside or interior - and I'm stuck down in London for the next ten days so won't be adding any anytime soon.

We have a good, quiet overdrive that we may possibly consider selling with her, depending on whether it will be required for the replacement 109 safari.

Now, this being the SLROC forum I feel it is okay to say that I don't want to haggle about money. I'd very much prefer to sell to a member here who will appreciate her - and £2,500 is what she is worth to me.

To arrange a viewing, or if you have questions (you know you will!) PM me here.

Kathy x

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:39:33 AM by wildwoodflower »

wildwoodflower

Re: For sale: Series 3, 200DI 2.5
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:19:34 AM »
Bump.

lexi

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:23:37 PM »

Nice truck that Kathy with all the advantages of the engine and new box.

Fly it on Ebay with a reserve?

wildwoodflower

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:16:35 PM »
Hi Lexi,

Might well put it on eBay. Better class of buyer on Land Rover forums, so thought I'd give it a go here first, then LRO and eBay after that.

Of course, I could always keep it and the children will have to learn to pack light!

Kathy

wildwoodflower

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
Right, for members of  this forum only I've dropped the price to £2,250 - but that's it.

K x