clutch and gears not feeling right.

· 7 · 1558

jack21

• Name: jack collins
clutch and gears not feeling right.
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »
hi guys,

im looking for some advise. :)

i drive a 20year old, defender 90, recently my biting point for my clutch pedal is getting closer and closer to the floor, and now im having to really push the pedal through the floor almost, before i can change gear. i feel ive got a 100yr old tractor gear box in my landi and my gears are beggining crunch alot more.
so is there any way i can adjust the biting point on the pedal/clutch or do i need a new clutch or gear box or both? :/

ta,
jack :)

AberdeenRob

• Name: Robbie Stephen
Re: clutch and gears not feeling right.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:48:51 AM »
I'd try bleeding the clutch hydraulics before you do anything drastic like change the clutch out (see below to see me not follow my own advice!), should be a fairly quick and easy job.

I have had identical symptoms on my 90 recently and bleeding the slave cylinder helped temporarily, but I think the real cause of my problem was a leak in the system somewhere.  Will be replacing the master, slave and flexi pipe when I get a chance, probably this week or next.  I have also taken the engine out for a clutch change for my own peace of mind (but mostly out of curiosity I have to admit!), turned out that the clutch assembly was in reasonable condition confirming that it was probably the hydraulics after all. :)

Cheers,
Robbie

jack21

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »
cheers rob, ill look into that. :)

agmech 53

• Name: Jim Wilson
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 03:25:09 PM »
Yup I'd also advise checking the cheapest bits first, I had the same issue with the clutch on my 200tdi 90, turns out the fluid was leaking back through the master cylinder, the rubber washers had perished, it got gradually worse over time, fitted new master and slave cylinder, problem solved, I guess also one quick check to see if the clutch is slipping is to get the truck into top gear, cruise along at say 50mph then just floor the gas, see if the clutch slips or not, not very scientific I know :P but if it's slips badly then that would indicate to me that you're clutch is kinda goosed.

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 05:09:03 PM »
Check the flexi hose isn't ballooning under pressure and losing the hydraulic force!
Steve

jack21

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »
Check the flexi hose isn't ballooning under pressure and losing the hydraulic force

hose seems fine,  but very slight wear patch from where it has been rubbing against the chassis, but no sign of leaking. :/

I'd try bleeding the clutch hydraulics before you do anything drastic like change the clutch out (see below to see me not follow my own advice!), should be a fairly quick and easy job.

I have had identical symptoms on my 90 recently and bleeding the slave cylinder helped temporarily, but I think the real cause of my problem was a leak in the system somewhere.  Will be replacing the master, slave and flexi pipe when I get a chance, probably this week or next.  I have also taken the engine out for a clutch change for my own peace of mind (but mostly out of curiosity I have to admit!), turned out that the clutch assembly was in reasonable condition confirming that it was probably the hydraulics after all.

Cheers,
Robbie

i bled the system and it worked a treat.  :)  i did check the system from start to finish and didnt really come across any leaks.  but hopfully it holds out for the time being. :)

ta very much for all advise. :)

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:50:38 AM »
You can also get water into the system (effectively condensation), and that can make the peddle spongy or feel like its sinking to the floor.

If you have not lost any fluid (check the resevour above the pedal), then doing a mega-bleed to replace all the old fluid with new stuff could be a good move.