D2 Centre Diff Lock

· 5 · 3118

Alan Mc

D2 Centre Diff Lock
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:30:38 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on enabling my centre diff in my 2000 Discovery 2.  I just need to double check but suspect the transfer box is enabled for diff lock and it's just got the blanking cover in place. 

The question I have relates to installing the mechanism.  Have investigated with Ashcroft and they of course sell the kit which all seems pretty straightforward to install (lever to replace the high/low shifter together with necessary 'pull' mechanism/bracket).  That having been said, £245 feels a bit sore....  Any other way to do this that I'm missing?

Thanks, Alan.

rangerovering

Re: D2 Centre Diff Lock
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »
The linkages and lever from a D1 are the same so can use these.

As for checking I think the way to do it is to feel on top of the casing for the actuator bar sticking out, though someone who knows for definate will confirm.
Steve

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »
When the D2 came out, it used the same transfer box as the D1.... just with the external rodding & pivots missing.
Then there was a period when the difflock was actually not installed in the transfer box at all - however, that period was short-lived and the boxes went back to having the diff, but no rods.

So, depending on the age of the transfer box, you may or may not have the diff-lock pin sticking up out the top of the transfer box (just above the drive-flange).

Everything on the InterWeb basocally points you to this for the actual process: http://www.discovery2.co.uk/D1_to_D2_cdl.html

piper5

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 10:53:36 AM »
i wouldnt bother, learn to use our right foot and let the electricary do its work you will be amazed where it will go, a few years ago we did a back to back test with a 300tdi on mud tyres against a td5 on road tyres, the td5 went everywhere the same.  it does feel very strange though keeping the revs up so its doesnt stall  , when youve done years of offroading with a difflock then switch to electronics it takes a while to trust it. and get used to all the horrible but normal noises it makes when doing it.
another thing is its much harder to cross axle with the electronics because it will brake the wheels in mid air and drive the ones on the ground
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:56:29 AM by piper5 »

DRH

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:37:47 AM »
Alan

I fitted a "3rd gearstick" to my D2 after Pitcaig sent me a link to someone else's post on another forum who had done the same thing

Depending on the age of your Disco the gubbins will be inside the box.  The only indication is that the threaded end of the selector shaft sticks through the top of the casing.  Mine is a T Reg.  When I had my 52 facelift it didn't have it - there is no blanking plate the top of the transfer box is smooth, then from 03 on it was fully enabled.

Basically what I did was that I drilled a hole in the console next to the high/low box lever to allow a combination of  3/8 socket extensions and a couple of swivel joints onto a 13mm socket, which fitted onto a 13mm nut on the shaft.

I made a short bracket that bolted somewhere on the side of the box to support it all to prevent it falling down/collapsing.  The biggest bother I had was tracking down an old style gearknob that wasn't marked up, and that would accept a bit of threaded rod.  The latter was welded into the top 3/8 extension

The switch for the difflock light is on the side of the box ready to be connected up, but the problem is that on the 88 Disco, when you connect it up, it knocks out the ABS and traction control, as I understand on that age of model the plug was mainly used as a diagnostic port by Landrover.

What I did was to connect it to another plug nearby, which lights up the gearbox temp light (which suits me fine for the short time it's engaged anyway). 

You can weld all the extensions and swivels together to make a better job, but I only taped them together as the bracket stops them moving vertically and being able to jump out.  Just give the swivels a good coating in grease to avoid them seizing up and selection being difficult.

Cost? - under £15

Hope this helps