Any good auto-sparks out there ?

· 9 · 2021

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Any good auto-sparks out there ?
« on: June 17, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »
Utterly, Utterly frustrated by this "replacement" loom for the Lightweight. Took it back to basics this afternoon, thinking that if I can just sort out the ignition circuit I can work from there....only to find that the ignition switch appears redundant, the loom is live on both sides of the switch all the time ! ( and, yes, I've tested the switch, it works.)

so. I've now pulled the back loom out again, back to square one.

Anyone know a good travelling autosparks who'd come up to Callander ?

Cheers.

Gene.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

genem

Re: Any good auto-sparks out there ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:24:22 PM »
A bit of better progress tonight. Put the loom back in, concentrating on the ignition circuit and thats now working, so it starts and runs again   ;D ;D

.... but I've still got an issue where the alternator is feeding 12v back into the system independant of the ignition switch....and then theres all the lights and gauges, nato socket etc to reconnect but I hope thats going to be fairly simple...   Fingers crossed.

So far I'd say that about 30% of the connectors are wrong - bullet connectors that should be spades and vice versa, O Rings that are too small. There are several "extra" wires and an indicator warning light thats not "original" - and thats on top of the missing wire from the alternator. Overall not as impressed with Autosparks as their Web reputation would imply. 

genem

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:13:19 PM »
...and tonight I found the short. Two connectors touching.

Hope thats the last of it.   

DRH

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:45:46 PM »
They say "patience is a virtue"  Hard to believe when everything's sizzling but it seems to have won through in this case

OUTRIGGER

• Name: Norman
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »
Send Autosparks photographs where corrected with covering letter, stating what the loom should be like in comparison to theirs in error - they may send you one correct  f.o.c.  -    ;)

Then all you will need is another Land Rover  S2A Lightweight   , or keep it for in event of a fire   ;D

wesley

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 11:10:45 PM »
My cousin can sipathise with you as he bought a dash loom with starting and engine loom. He wishes he never started as his loom does not fit and it would have been cheeper to have made one on the floor bit by bit. Atleat it would work. I would love to see the 101 they used to make it from...Good luck

genem

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:24:48 PM »
Thanks Wes. Slowly getting there with this one, got the front lights wired up OK but the horn is not playing ball and the inside of the dash still looks like a mad-womans spaghetti lunch. All it would take would be for them to have either tagged each wire with what it is or to provide some sort of table showing whats what....and then I'd forget about bullet connectors that should be spades etc. Its a bit much when even their own technical help guy can't explain what some bits of the loom are for when provided with a photograph ! - and thats on a 2A. God help them if they ever try a P38 !

piper5

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 09:41:44 PM »
gene have a look on gumtree in fife there is someone selling loads of lightweight bits in tayport, maybe something of use to you.

genem

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »
Thanks, I will.

G.