universal joint

· 6 · 1353

jack21

• Name: jack collins
universal joint
« on: June 20, 2012, 03:30:42 PM »
i have a defender 90, which is about 20yr old.  i seem to be goin through univerasal joints like there is no tomoro.  i recently replaced the one goin onto the front diff and it sounds like it has gona again.  it is making sum horrible cluncking noises,  the same as before when the other one went.  i had the one near the gearbox done at my last mot aswell.
i am wondering wot causes them to go and wot can i do to make them last longer? :)

any advice appreciated.

jack

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
Re: universal joint
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 04:11:52 PM »
keep them full of grease this does help. every six months or sooner if its having a hard life.

Cheers Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

tio

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »
Jack, if your using it offroad at all i would be under greasing every couple of weeks, at least and everytime you go offroad (preferably before)  but it really depends how many miles you do, i was torturing mine at the weekend then doing five hundred miles a week, (mine was going through uj's like women go through knickers), and that was the only way i could keep on top of it,  but the only way you can slowdown the hardning of the grease is by little and often, even still one side will harden at some point, now mine get more attention than my firstborn lol  best of luck buddy

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
Ditto what the guys have said. What brand of replacement joints are you using? From experience hardy spicers are the best by a long way
Steve

jack21

• Name: jack collins
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 07:55:45 AM »
Ditto what the guys have said. What brand of replacement joints are you using? From experience hardy spicers are the best by a long way
i am not sure make they are to be honest.  ill make sure i get the hardy spicer next time tho.

ta for all the advice guys. :)

piper5

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »
if you have a compressor then its worth buying an air powered grease gun best £15 i ever spent that really gets the grease going through the joints.