No MOT required for Pre 1960 vehicles.

· 11 · 3082

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
No MOT required for Pre 1960 vehicles.
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »
Just seen this on the BBC.

Good news for the classics fans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

scotscim

Re: No MOT required for Pre 1960 vehicles.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
 Hi

Well it will save me £50 when i get the series one on the road.
  But whats going to be the case  for RTVs where you need an Mot ? and is it going to be the case of inshurers putting up the premiums ?, to cover themselfs for incidents with poorly maintained vehicals etc.
Cheers
Greig

Greig

1996 Defender 110 300tdi station wagon

1953 series 1 80 inch

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »
I'm sure it will still need registered, and display a tax disc (cost £0.00)

I confess I'm not keen on this move: I've seen (and owned!) too many dodgy cars to be comfortable with the idea that everyone who owns a pre 1960's car will keep it in "good condition"

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 09:06:54 PM »

I confess I'm not keen on this move: I've seen (and owned!) too many dodgy cars to be comfortable with the idea that everyone who owns a pre 1960's car will keep it in "good condition"

I agree .............. it's the prospect of the MOT that makes many (even conscientious enthusiasts) fix things up once a year.
And the current MOT does allow for the fact the older vehicles are er older ............ and elderly vehicles like their owners will wheeze, dribble, drink too much, wander about randomly and generally do things at a more sedentary pace.

Allowances must be made .................. now where did I leave my glasses?
1983 110 V8. RIP

lexi

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »

Not happy with this either........as I have a 61  ???

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 06:27:58 AM »
Watch the price of pre 1960 cars rocket mas people think they can save money by buying one. Like the free tax pre 73 cars.

I think its the most stupid thing the government have done recently.
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

georgew

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:41:20 AM »
We need to wait and see what the actual rules will be by Nov 2012.

I mean like a Pre 1960 vehicle now sitting on a SORN or not even on a SORN, just in storage or in a pile of bits in storage or under a hedge and going to have to be RE-Registered with the DVLA to get a modern V5 & put back on the road.

It may well need too be inspected by the DVLA for chassis numbers or engine numbers,

But is it just getting back on the road without undergoing a MOT to check that it meets the thing presently on the back of an old type MOT
certificate.

"An MOT Test pass confirms that, when the vehicle was examined in accordance with section 45 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it met the minimum legal requirements for those items prescribed under the Act.
It does not mean that the vehicle fully meets all legal requirements or that it wil continue to be roadworthy for the next year.
It is your responsibilty to keep the vehicle maintained so that it would always meet MOT standards and be free from other defects."

?? So are they going to allow all and any Pre 1960's not currently on the road to be Registered or re-registered & get a Pre 1973 free tax disc without a Safety check to see it meets minimum standards for a Pre 1960's vehicle?

You would think people where not so stupid to put on the road or drive an unsafe vehicle, i think we all know that thats not how it is!

george
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:20:51 AM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

piper5

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 07:42:06 AM »
how many coil sprung series one's are we going to see now !!

Graeme

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:12:48 AM »
in reality not many there may be the odd wag that thinks they have got away with pulling the wool over the eyes of athourity by changing almost every bit of  pre 71 motor to get cheap tax now they will be going back even further to get the advantage of no mot
but hold on you have all forgot the ins companys  they are always looking for ways not to pay out  it may well have pre accident insurance but i bet plod will be working overtime and delighted when they come to tell you your vehicle was being used without  insurance and a list of other charges
as george says we will need to wait and see

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
Anyone out there with a glass anywhere near half full ?   ;D
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

georgew

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »
 :) Happy as Larry for everyone..
I have a 1958 Morris Minor that is going on back on the road after many years & £££'s of bringing back to better than new condition.

Saving £50 or so on a test is not a big consideration on anything as it will be getting a full MOT & more check anyway.

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk