Off to France ... again

· 11 · 2087

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
Off to France ... again
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:22:51 AM »
Okay, it's not quite an overland trip to the Cape ... but for a SIII firmly into mid-life our Kim (for that is what we call her) does get around a bit.

This morning, before work, I nipped up a couple of wheel bearings, checked engine and gearbox, transfer box, overdrive, diff and swivel oils, topped up the coolant and greased the props- for in the morning we are heading back to south western France for ten days of barn roof mending, bramble-destroying, a little light forestry and shutter painting.

Hopefully, Kim will behave herself and not eat her own rear diff again, as she did in the summer. It's a filthy habit.

She will be earning her keep, too, pulling tree stumps and being No1 mobile barn repair platform.

And do you know what I'm really hoping for Mother's Day? I'd like her fitted with a PTO, so that she could run a circular saw.

'spect I'll get chocolates.

Alan Mc

Re: Off to France ... again
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:30:25 AM »
Sounds cool - making me jealous.  That having been said, having done a bit of mileage in my old S111 don't envy you the road noise all that way...!  Have a great one.  Alan.

corvettedave

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »
Sounds like fun

have a good time

dave

wildwoodflower

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:32:50 AM »
... and we're back from France!

Well, back in London anyhow. Last leg back to Scotland will have to wait a week.

The sat nav tells me 1,590 miles so far (with another 472 miles or so to run). Average (motorway) speed 54mph, cruising speed 63mph, top speed 82.2mph (yeah, right  :o) and fuel consumption 36.6mpg.

Mechanical issues so far? None. That can't be bad for a 35-year-old wagon? A wagon that is currently holed up in Kent as she is banned from London by the LEZ (that's low emissions zone - not lesbians. Lesbians generally approve of her).

We saw only one other Series in France.

lexi

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 05:58:26 PM »

You have done well.  Sore ears with the TDI?

wildwoodflower

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
Only from continually wearing ear plugs or ear defenders. Conversation is impossible - but that's not always such a bad thing...

cedric_r

• Yorkie
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
Hi there. Out of curiosity where in South West France?
Cedric

wildwoodflower

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 12:51:30 AM »
Not far from a village called Lanouaille - Perigourd vert, just south of the border with Limousin and west of Correze. My mother lives there.

cedric_r

• Yorkie
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 08:28:45 AM »
Oh I see. South East of where I am. But not far from some of my family who work in Terrasson and live in Cublac.
Cedric

ranger12

• lcsengineering.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
glad you had good trip,, :) hope to see you soon
lcsengineering.co.uk
bobtail range rover
90 2.5td
series 11

wildwoodflower

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 10:39:30 AM »
Hi Lenny, yes a great trip thanks - and thanks for all your excellent work on the footwells and MoT. Feels like new!