Screeching Lightweight...

· 2 · 1309

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Screeching Lightweight...
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »
No, not a description of me.... :-)

I brought the new LWT home tonight, very happy with what I have got for the money, but with some issues that will need early attention - ....notably a serious screech ( clutch ?) when accelerating, in or out of gear !  History is that its supposed to be a new clutch when the vehicle was rebuilt onto a galv chassis just on a year ago and the vehicle has done less than 61 miles since. Is it likely to be just sticking and needing a bit of mileage or.....   Edited to add...just found an invoice for "replace bolt in cross-shaft for clutch mechanism" ...from 30 miles ago ! Hmmmm.

Its also got a fair bit of play in the steering and, having driven home fine and sat burbling away to itself while it was unloaded its now not idling - dies as soon as you take your foot off the pedal. I'm suspecting crap in the carb after sitting so long ?

...further edited to add...and the guys on the Ex Mil forum think that from the chassis no it was once a LHD vehicle !

Other than that, minor niggles, I'm happy ;-)

G.     
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:57:44 PM by genem »
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Screeching Lightweight...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:57:48 PM »
I sorted the lack of an Idle this evening - I suspected that the thrash about the fields after we got it home had shaken up a pile of carp from the almost empty tank and blocked the jet so I took off the air intake above the carb, got No 1 son to run the engine at medium revs and stuck a gloved hand over the top of the carb. Took three goes, each with a slight improvement but obviously the vacumms created by stalling the engine like that was enough to pull the gunk out of the jet. After a trip to town for new fuel its running fine and the idle speed sounds nice. Next stop Halfrauds for some lead replacement stuff.

The "screech" is also not so bad but still there. If it continues much longer I thinks its going to need cracked open to see whats going on in the clutch release/spigot bush line :-(

Probably a bone question but how to I line up the steering wheel to be centred ? On the 90 its just pop the boss off the steering wheel, unbolt and move the wheel on the splined column - Whats the score on a 2A ? 

Thanks.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....