Disco Clutch Slip

· 3 · 1308

bertracoon1616

Disco Clutch Slip
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:57:12 PM »
Hey guys

Just driving my 3.9 disco recently and noticed when i was giving it the beans the revs were climbing as the gear engaged then they would drop off slowly and the car would crawl forward, just went for a drive tonight and put my foot down in 4th and the same problem but much more noticeable! If im nice and dont use too much power its not so bad.

Im assuming my clutch plate is on its last legs but im not too sure about whats involved in replacing it. Had a look at paddock and rimmer bros and you can get full kits (friction plate, pressure plate ect) ranging from £100-£300 (£300 for landy genuine parts ones.)

The point is, im not sure which bit needs replacing, can i just do the friction pad or if im taking the gearbox out is it worth just giving it a full once over and replacing the bearing and everything else?

Also can anyone reccomend which brand part to buy, there are some "heavy duty" ones around and i would be quite interested in upgrading to something a bit tougher, but im not sure just how heavy duty they would be!!

Many thanks

Ally

1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

piper5

Re: Disco Clutch Slip
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:20:46 AM »
clutch comes as a a kit,  friction plate/cover plate/bearing  also order a heavy duty clutch fork which is about a tenner.
we always use AP or borg beck clutches,   i have seen several LUK clutches explode after a year

whistler007

Re: Disco Clutch Slip
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:29:32 AM »
Speak tp rakeway about clutches they are excellent and full of information on standard/heavy duty/racing