Slow Tick-over

· 7 · 1222

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
Slow Tick-over
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »
Hi,

I think this may be a common fault as I had the same issue with the last Range rover I had, I have owned my RRC 3.9 petrol for a few months now and it runs really well but I have noticed that gradually the tick over is getting slower ( when hot ) and on the odd occasion it has stalled.
For me the obvious thing to do is adjust the tick over but if I remember correctly that didnt solve the issue the last time as it caused the engine to race sometimes and I thing there was another suggestion at the time but i cant remember what it was.

Is this a common fault?? if so any suggestions

Cheers

Donald.

Graeme

Re: Slow Tick-over
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:42:36 PM »
base idle is wrong but all plugs leads andtimming have to be spot on before you start

kvz2000

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
Cheers

Sounds like a job for the garage, I could easily check plugs and the leads , can you tell me what to look for with the leads, I imagine it's to make sure they are insulated and not shorting?? How would I do that?

Is there anyway I could check/alter the base idle ?

Thanks

Donald

Scott

• Name: Scott MacNab
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:19:35 PM »
you check the HT leads by running the car in the dark and looking for small blue sparks or if spraying them the WD40 improves things then they might be arcing

Sounds like a fuel problem, perhaps the fuel is getting too hot near the engine, fuel pipes ontop can get so hot the fuel boils in the pipe causing idling problems. If it has a carb again the fuel can boil in the float chamber making a poor idle, adding a thicker plastic gasket can help there or checking all the heatshields are fitted. Worn points too cause the idle to reduce over time and is a sign that they need cleaning.

MudBucket

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 01:04:51 PM »
Hi,

is  it EFI?
what does the exhaust gas look like?
Check your idle control valve (stepper motor at the rear of the plenum chaber). it should adjust automatically to get the idle speed to about 850 rpm and is controlled from the ecu. The ecu needs to have good inputs from the TPS, coolant temp and Fuel temp. The MAF also plays a part, check for vacuum leaks the MAF should read about 1.7volts at tickover, if there is a leak it will show here.

Check base idle is about 525 rpm ish, the stepper then should be free to open up and close to keep the revs constant, sometimes they get sticky and need a  good clean out.

sometimes the temperature senders (or connectors) get poorly and need looked at. It might be that you have a bad coolant temp sender which is not working and when the car gets hot the ecu thinks it is still cold and you get too much fuel making it run slow and smokey.

check the other things other folk have said also , cos they all pretty much go together.

cheers,

Stephen

kvz2000

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
Thanks Guys,

That gives me loads to go on ,

Donald.

Graeme

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »
dont just go and try to set the rpm at 525 rpm     the hoses conecting to the stepper motor have to be blanked of first  then the engine started and the revs checked with an acurate tacho not the cars one    that is why the rest of the tunning has to be spot on or it wont run with the hoses disconected