Electrickery -- Main Beam issues

· 3 · 1207

elegia

Electrickery -- Main Beam issues
« on: March 28, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »
Hi All; wonder if anyone can help me with this one - i have a feeling that it's probably an easy fix, but I have a dire knowledge of electrics.

Vehicle: Defender 90 - 1994 - 200Tdi

Problem: Main beam; near side only. Side & dipped lights all work fine.
With dipped lights on when I "flash" (pull the lever towards me) only the off side/ driver's side flashes, near side remains on dipped (my initial thought, off course, was a blown bulb). However when I put the main beams on full (push the lever away) the off side goes on main beam and the near side turns off completely (hence, no dipped on this side)  :o .

I wondered whether it might be a relay - so I had a quick play - with no real outcome! I removed the fuse box cover, and bottom right there are three relays; 2 yellow, one green (from left to right; yellow, yellow, green) .  I think the middle (yellow) relay is to do with the main beam & dipped lights. I removed this and and (as expected) lost dipped (kept sides and dims) but kept flash (as before on off side only). I swapped the two yellows to see if that improved matters - but no, exactly the same. Can I rule out a faulty relay?

It's worth noting (and feel free to criticise) but I've not yet changed bulbs, as I don't think a blown bulb will cause this ( but may be part of the story?).

Any other suggestions at this stage?

Thanks in advance - Jamie

Floyd

• Name: Graham Dallas
Re: Electrickery -- Main Beam issues
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »
SOunds like a bulb.

Remember with twin filament bulbs - Dip filament, and main beam filament.

Pushing the lever away switches off the dip and puts on the main.
A Flash (pulling it towards you) puts both filament on at once.

Sounds like your near-side main is gone.

I think that covers your explanation.
Graham

---------
'95 Defender 110 300 Tdi

elegia

Re: Electrickery -- Main Beam issues
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
Blimey -- looks like I was over-complicating the thing!! Aye, that makes sense Floyd.
I can't believe I posted a blown bulb problem in the Tech Section  ::)