Insurance & 'Modifications'

· 12 · 2410

Mikey

Insurance & 'Modifications'
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:53:27 PM »
Hi all,

I'm going to be insuring the Classic Rangie after it's had a refurb. Question is, as far as the Insurance is concerned does an LPG system and the replacement of air suspension with coil springs (standard, no lift or anything) count as mods?

I'm not looking to keep info from them, but is it worth saying??

Cheers,

Mike.
Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.

geoff

Re: Insurance & 'Modifications'
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
Bset to tell them, there's a chance it won't cost any more
Especially if it's a land rover friendly company

Geoff

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:13:18 PM »
Also it varies from insurer to insurer. My 90 left the factory as a County Hard Top and I have had it converted to a Stationwagon - when I asked my insurers their attitude was that they didn't want to know unless I had increased the engine performance - I thought a bit strange as I had increased their liability for injury to passengers from driver and one passenger to driver and 5 passengers but all they were concerned about on that from was that every seat had seat belts! I wrote and informed them anyway. Last year the original insurers (Land Rover Insurance/ Royal & Sun Alliance) sold the business to Zurich with whom I have had a long running dispute about domestic cover they provide for my house. I asked them about the Defender mods and again their concern was I had not modified the engine in anyway. I didn't even have to send my letter to RS&A/LRI as they had my files on record and they were happy with the same letter.
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

tio

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 10:34:45 PM »
both companys i've had my deafner insured with both required engineers report for the lift and winch bumper, there is history of people and insurance companys dispute over the change of air to steel, unfortunatley the precise reference or tech yerm i'm unable to recal, its such a lot of nonsense ther's been rangerovers running on steel springs forty years,, ins company's seem to be looking for a reason to rattle up policy's for the slightest little thing these days, i have been ooohhhhd and aahhhd over fitting mud tyres WTF, my advice would be to declare it, that way they cant hold it against you later,  the term you need to learn is it's still within manufacturing parameters

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »
both companys i've had my deafner insured with both required engineers report for the lift and winch bumper...,]

As discussed on another thread, I declared my winch bumper to NFU last month ...got a letter back thanking me and saying its covered under standard terms, no extra cost. I think it all depends on who you insure with and what their experience with LR is. NFU seem to understand what "Normal" is for a Landrover.

Deafner - Like it !  Might nick that for a sticker !
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Mikey

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »
Cheers folks,

What really annoys me is that, as has been said, as soon as you say it been 'modified' it ramps up the cost by a huge amount. It also annoys that when you're on the phone or online it's basically a computer programme that calculates your premium, click all the boxes and see what the computers says, rather than an actual person who knows their stuff and who could give a more reasonable price!

I had one quote a while back, on a classic policy of around £140, but now i'm looking at over £300 after disclosing my 'mods'

Mike.
Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.

Cam

• Some say he's definatley not the Stig!!
  • Name: Cameron Sutherland
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:39:36 PM »
I'm a bit late in replying to your post on insurance. Apologies,
Have you tried aidrian flux insurance, hey worked out well for me..thats with modifications to the suspension etc.
 :o
Defender 90 County 300 TDI

allen

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
I have my 110 thru Sureterm direct and i will never use them again they answer the phone for sales and will not answer any other calls i have tried to cancel my policy and was told the guy could not do this as he is in sales and would need to get some one to call me back i have spent 2 days on the phone on hold i am not a happy chap  >:(

Cam

• Some say he's definatley not the Stig!!
  • Name: Cameron Sutherland
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »
Not so good, ok you could try calling aidrian flux and see if they could call on your behalf, you would of course have to take out one of thier policies,
Bit like swapping current accounts, your new bank does the work for you, direct debits standing orders and all that, worth a try, and no I'm not on commission lol, good luck number for you 07909110025.....
Defender 90 County 300 TDI

allen

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »
i have a motor trade policy i only insured the landy with them so te wife could drive over the winter now i need to cancel it and i cant get thru  >:(

georgew

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 05:45:22 PM »
their freephone number works
0800 369 8590

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 04:49:10 AM »
I'm with Adrian Flux and they are a total waste of time these days. I have been with them since nearly the start of my driving career as my cars ahve always been fairly heavily modified... and even 3 years ago with my first Defender 90 they were really good.

Then I bought the Tomb Raider... total nightmare puts it mildly. To start with they didn't know what it was, then when I explained they first said they wouldn't cover it at all, then wanted to make me pay extra for every single extra part - including every single factory fitted standard option (and being a Tomb Raider there are quite a few!), then they wanted a tracker fitted or they wouldn't insure me. At that point I said they were being highly irrational and told them I would take the hit and cancel the policy early... so they threatened to black list me as refusing insurance!!!!

In the end they only charged me for the more extreme of the optinal extras and insisted I had a Clifford Cat 1 alarm fitted within a week. It has been a total *£%$:@*£^&%~#ing nightmare.

Never again
"Lara" - 2001 Defender 110 Tomb Raider Edition