Starting Problems - 2A Lightweight.

· 4 · 1495

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Starting Problems - 2A Lightweight.
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:17:56 PM »
So - A tad rusty, not having had a petrol engined vehicle for about 20 years....

Flat battery today, so I guess the home-made loom the last owner made has a leak to earth.... Tried starting it with jump from a good battery without success. Hopefully I've just flooded it first time round - but anyone like to give me a step by step checklist in case its more fundamental ? How hot should the coil get fr'instance ? The coil on mine was almost too hot to touch after a bit of cranking.

Thanks,

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

DRH

Re: Starting Problems - 2A Lightweight.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:22:14 PM »
Hi Gene

I went to start the 109 a couple of weeks ago and it wouldn't start.  I changed the fuel pump but had left the ignition on when I was doing it and the coil got very hot. 

I went back to it the following day with another coil, but before changing it, I decided to give it another go and it fired up first time and ran ok for another half hour before parking it up again.

Try it again when it's cold

Duncan

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »
Gene.  The coil will get hot if the ignition is on but engine is not running or if the the points are closed up. Has the 109 been sitting for a while unused or is this a new fault.
Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »
My fault then ....I had the ignition on while messing about with the number-plate light, must have been 30 minutes or more. Started "on the button" first time this morning.

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....