chequerplate for defender

· 3 · 1361

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
chequerplate for defender
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »
Hi all i am looking for advice on chequerplate for my 90 , i am going to order the matt black finish wingtop and bonnet. Any advice on best practice to fit, should i get rubber between the chequerplate to stop vibration , how do i get the exact place to hole saw the aerial out on wing top, should i use rivets or get counter sunk bolts to fix them to body work ? any advice would be appreciated .
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: chequerplate for defender
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
If you want to make a really good job then stainless counter-sunk bolts will prevent rusty streaks later...but will be difficult to fasten in places like the heater intake if the wings are on. If its for more than "bling" - you actually plan to stand on the wing - then get the thicker versions rather than the tin-foil that the cheaper stuff is made from. A bit of silicone sealant will not do any harm - and a lot of garages actually glue chequer plate on I believe, to reduce bi-metallic corrosion potential.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

diesel jock

Re: chequerplate for defender
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:38:56 PM »
Hi mate I've got the thicker stuff on my 90 it sits on top of a rubber backing about 2mm thick secured with stainless countersunk screws as for the aerial I changed mine and put it on the back of the roof near washer jet because it was in the way of safari snorkel so it had to be moved.