Shell V-Power Diesel

· 15 · 3483

Tommy B

Shell V-Power Diesel
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »

Just looking for any views, comments on using 'V-Power' rather than the normal diesel. 

Reason being, I recently got a voucher for either ?8 of diesel or ?9 of v-power.  My man-logic worked out that, although the v-power is a few pence more expensive, with the extra money-off it would work out as much the same.   

Anyway, back to the point - on a trip to Aberdeen and back the LR (a Defender Td5) did seem to run better.  However, it got me thinking - was it actually better, or was it the 'placebo' effect.

Also, I usually fill up with branded fuel (ie Shell, Esso, etc), because I think this is 'better' that the supermarket 'own-brand' fuel.  I don't mind 'own-brand' bread, beans, bacon, etc, but I prefer 'proper' fuel for the LR.   :D

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong (and that I use to many 'apostrophies' & brackets) and that I have more money than sense (I've very little of both, tbh), or do you have any knowlege/experience which would back me up!!

Any comments?? :)

Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

georgew

Re: Shell V-Power Diesel
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »
I use Shell V Power Diesel & Shell V Power petrol in modern engines that can actually benefit from them.

For Modern petrol engines i like Sainsbury Super Unleaded or Tesco Momentum where the extra price equals out in the slight MPG increase that matches the extra 45 pence a gallon or so.
(as petrol they are a slightly higher octane than the V power & usually cheaper, 99 & 100 octane minimum)
Even if the MPG does not improve i feel i notice improved smoothness with some vehicles.
All are autobox vehicles

I wouldnt bother to pay the extra to run more expensive Diesel in a TD5 personally.
If you feel it runs better or gives better MPG then where can you go wrong with it.

Just now in the UK/Scotland your standard diesel & petrol is Winter formula anyway)

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:27:06 PM »
I'm afraid I've gone beyond taking any of the fuel companies marketing lines. I look for the cheapest diesel I can find. I did accidentally fill the Golf with v-power once and noticed not a jot of difference. As for the LR, given that the older ones will run on anything from paraffin upwards - I imagine it matters even less?
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Tommy B

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 09:58:06 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys - think I'll fill up with the cheapest I can find in future.

Cheers.
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

lexi

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »
 I don't know what it is? Every time I fill with V Power I feel
  that the handling is improved  ::)  ;D ;D

Tommy B

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 10:58:58 PM »

Now you're just confusing me - maybe half v-power/half cheaper stuff is the way forward!! :-\

rangerovering

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 08:42:44 AM »
If I ever put the amber nectar in the RR its from Shell or BP if possible, anything bar supermarket really. That said it gobbles it just the same ;D
Steve

Jonathon James

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »
Diesel [ Supermarket vs Shell ] - I got caught out last winter when it frozzzze.

Tesco were proud that their's was protected to menus 10, hence the problem; Shell said it would start to congeal at minus 50.

I do notice more mpg and better pulling power with the Shell standard diesel, but driving like an old f'art performance - not a clue.

Jules

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »
I don't know what it is? Every time I fill with V Power I feel
  that the handling is improved     

obviously  :o  your wallet is lighter so the car handles better
She said at my age I need something else to play with

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »
Ive used super unleaded in my 540 and did notice a difference in performance and throttle response. on newer cars the ecu will recognize that a higher octane fuel is being used (o2 and knock sensors) and adjust accordingly, I would still expect older vehicles to run better than with 95 octane petrol tho.
Isnt Supermarket fuel taken from the same gantry at Grangemouth as all the other brands so unless they have additives put in the tanker I cant see how they can be any different. IMO.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

piper5

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »
the fuel does all come out the same pump but then they put additives in the tankers, it maybe in my head but i do feel the td5 goes better on the v power type fuels especially when towing , the only fuel i really hated was i once was forced to use biodiesel from sainsbury in the 300tdi , so bad i thought the engine had gone

rangerovering

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
Yes I remember speaking to the a senior tech at Weirs Merc in Grangemouth, he said when they went out to test the cars after a service you could see the different tankers getting additives tipped into the tank depending on the brand. He said he would never go near the supermarket stuff.

He made an interesting observation, in Germany the chrome finishers on most modern car exhausts wouldn't get all sooted up with crud like they do in the UK - in otherwords the chemicals added to the fuel was evident accross the board in this country.
Steve

bertracoon1616

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »
I run my Disco on Morrisons or Tesco cheap stuff. 1.28 a litre, suits me. V8 still downs the stuff like its going out of fashion.

Ive been told when it comes to V8s BP is the way to go, failing that apparently the next best thing is Tesco!?

My mate runs his 300tdi on bog standard shell or Tesco but like its been said, those things would run on powderd coal so i doubt it makes much difference to them!

I just run on the cheapest i can find.
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

cozzie

• Scottish Traction Engine Society
  • Name: Colin Lowson
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 07:29:37 PM »
I don't have figures for the landy as I have never run it on anything other that Shell regular diesel, but the Skoda (Octavia) seems to do about 5mpg more or Shell regular diesel than the supermarket stuff and only costs a few pence more. Seems worth it to me.
ex-RM Navy Defender 110 300Tdi Hard Top

landroverdiver

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »
I have a Puma that I have had remapped and was running on Morrisons diesel.  Last three fills have been on Shell diesel, improvement in smooth running and performance is noticable.  Same price as supermarket fuel.  Not checked mileage yet as my son was also driving it and therefore it will have been going faster in all gears, but expect to be the same better mpg.

No more Morrison's £5 vouchers for me!