DISCO V8 FUEL FILTER PIPES

· 7 · 1554

bertracoon1616

DISCO V8 FUEL FILTER PIPES
« on: December 27, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
Hey guys

Just trying to replace the fuel filter on my 3.9 Disco.

Unfortunately it looks like it has been there for quite a while and im having real trouble freeing the pipes from the filter. Ive soaked it all in WD 40 but its still not budging (whoever thought of putting the filter there should be shot btw). Ill give it another soak and leave it over night but does anyone know where i can get the 2 short sections of pipe either side of the filter if i damge them getting it off? Had a gander on ebay and paddock but couldnt see anything.

Cheers guys

Ally
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

Graeme

Re: DISCO V8 FUEL FILTER PIPES
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
what condition is the fuel pipes in both at the fuel pump and along the chasis rail

bertracoon1616

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »
Bit dark to have a look now but the pipe, im fairly certain is in good nick. Most of the car is really nice condition surprisingly for a disco! Propbably cos it spent most of its life in sunny France. Its just trying to get the wee, i think they are brass, nuts either side of the filter to budge without rounding them, already felt the spanner starting to spin so i stopped pretty sharpish and gve it another soak.
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »
from memory they are mild steel the olive is brass  demon tweeks sell the high pressure pipe filters and jointing couplings

WELDER 1

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 12:21:43 AM »
go to halfords and get a tin off rust your nuts off it.s like wd40 but 100 times better will free off most stuck nuts use it all the time won.t go past it now best thing to come on the market in years

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:38:39 PM »
or 2 spanners side by side to double the contact area, and I agree with you its a bloody daft place to put a filter.
Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

bertracoon1616

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
Hey guys

Managed to sort it......kind of. Stuck a torch on it for a few seconds (was only after i had the heat on it for a while i realised i was putting an open flame near a fuel line but thats beside the point!!). This didnt free the metal nut but did allow the metal pipe the nut was on to spin within the rubber pipe!! After checking nothing had melted/caught fire. So after screwing one end of the filter on i managed to hold the metal collar on the rubber pipe with a mole wrench and spin the entire nut and metal pipe assembly into the new filter....RESULT!

Not exactly text book but hey, job done!
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!