Diversionary Tactics

· 3 · 1217

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Diversionary Tactics
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:59:05 AM »
Heading home from a forest near Huntley today. The route would usually take me over Glenshee. Light snow, maybe an inch or two. so I was not bothered..... till I got to Braemar where Plod was parked at the snow gates - "Road Closed sir, Tayside have already locked the gates on the other side...".  Discussed a couple of options with him, to find that the only available route was to double back towards Aberdeen, cut down to Stonehaven and Dundee.... Roughly 95 miles of a diversion.

...much as I love our mountain roads - Closed by an inch of snow is a bit much. The owners at Glenshee must be raging. What a weekend to lose their trade. The cop said that the decision had been made because there had already been 3 accidents. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Ripped007

Re: Diversionary Tactics
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:07:19 AM »
Unfortunately 99% of the public are unable to drive in winter these days. They drive round in cars with tyres wider than my sofa and wonder why they have no grip when we get a wee bit of snow. It has to be said that in my experience that Chelsea Tractor drivers appear to be the worst as they think 4x4 means that they can go "hell for leather" in any conditions cause "its a 4x4". Hope your detour wasn't too bad. You obviously had enough fuel for it which can be an issue up that way.

Bob...

tio

Re: Diversionary Tactics
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »
Gene they dont close the gates lightly, on the mar side your generally ok up to the ski center once beyond the ski center as the road winds down to the spittal there are a few dips in the road that if there's any wind at all they fill in with about 10 ft drifts that just refill as soon as the snow blower has been through, there used to be seasonal snow fences erected here to minipulate the snow drifting, i havent been up for a while so i dont know if they still use them???  (unfortunately there have been people perished in there) so even though all you have is an inch or so at the gates it can be like the end of the world in that section of the road,