disco 1 electrics/starting

· 5 · 1263

therealmcneill

disco 1 electrics/starting
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:37:29 AM »
Hi.  After getting my snorkel put on my 300tdi disco I decided to test it last week. The snorkel worked really well but water poured into the passenger footwell (about bonnet deep outside) from below the glovebox.  Happily surprised that my door seals held, I quickly wished they were the bit that failed as my electrics started going funny. First my indicators stuck on and then the horn sounded.  It was a different tone from the push horn and thought it was to do with the alarm.  I turned my engine off and after a few moments the horn stopped but then the engine wouldn't start.  It didn't turn over but all the lights etc came on, no fuses seemed to be burst. I managed to bump start it down a hill but it still won't start on it's own.  The central locking won't work and the alarm has been sounding (I disconnected the horn).  basically I have a couple of questions - is the alarm standard for that year (1994)?  should the water really come in at that point?  how would I be best getting it fixed - get an auto electrician out? Bump it and get to a garage? Join the rac or whatever and phone them?  sorry for no paragraphs but I'm on my phone.  thanks in advance.  Gav

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
Re: disco 1 electrics/starting
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
I had a TDi 200 disco. Behind the n/s A panel .............. where the passenger left foot might kick............ there were plenty relays and so on. If a 300 is similar that's a good starting point.
I think the alarm is standard on a 300 and can cause problems even when it's bone dry.
If you tested the snorkel thoroughly and had water coming over the bonnet then water has gone down the heater intake. This happened to my friends 300, I er may have been driving ::)
To dry the carpet and so on was a big job as we had to remove the seats and ended up cutting the trim underfelt at the transmission tunnel so we could remove it all as two halves and then clean it all. I think we were at Glentarkie and the water was very dirty!
Like you though we found the snorkel worked splendidly ;)
1983 110 V8. RIP

therealmcneill

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »
cheers, I'll take a look (or get someone else to). This happened in the big pond at glentarkie  ;D do you recon I should take it to a garage or get an electrician?

rodspink

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »
I would put money on the Alarm has imobilised the car. I.E you will get all the lights on the dash but it wont turn over as the starter will be not getting power to it. Also if its a twin circuit unit the fuel pump could be imobilised to. Bypass the thing and go from there.

Rod

therealmcneill

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »
I would put money on the Alarm has imobilised the car. I.E you will get all the lights on the dash but it wont turn over as the starter will be not getting power to it. Also if its a twin circuit unit the fuel pump could be imobilised to. Bypass the thing and go from there.

Rod
that sounds exactly right. I'll hopefully get it checked over the next few days.  Cheers