leaky rear axle and pathetic wiper sweep - help!

· 8 · 2151

Maxxed_Ross

leaky rear axle and pathetic wiper sweep - help!
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:56:06 PM »
I need some help lads

As I mentioned in my earlier post about "vader" I'm having some leaky axle issues. The rear axle is currently pissing oil onto the rear brake disk on the passenger side. To top it off now the rear drivers side looks like it is about to do the same.

Does anyone know what parts need replaced? Part numbers would be ideal as even after hours of searching Google I'm still none the wiser.

Also recently the window wipers seem to be sweeping less and less of the window, but they work fine when you flip them away from the window. Does that mean the wiper motor is knackered?

Thanks in advance
"Lara" - 2001 Defender 110 Tomb Raider Edition

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: leaky rear axle and pathetic wiper sweep - help!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:03:17 AM »
I've a problem with my drivers side wiper not fully sweeping. I think its down to the adaptor bit that is attached to the wiper spindle with a grub screw. The screw has a pointed end which is shite as method of clamping to the flat on the spindle - basically its impossible to get it tight enough that it does not rock about under pressure. I've a plan to unmantle it this weekend, file it flat and stick some sort of shim in there too. Issue is that with repeated attempts at tightening it I've goosed the head of the grub screw so getting it out may be fun.

....or your wiper motor needs replaced....   ;D

See if there is any movement at the spindle when you try flapping the wiper about ?

There is a 87 onwards parts manual here: http://www.landroverweb.com/landrover/pdf-land-rover-manuals/
Its for a 110 but its a start !
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

diesel jock

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:03:45 AM »
Hi mate
Part numbers
Inner hub seal. Ftc4785
Outer seal. Frc8222
Drive flange gasket. 571752
Wheel bearings. Stc4382
Depending on age of motor the wheel bearing lock nuts may need replaced. I would check axle breather isnt choked,unclip from chassis open diff level plug and blow to check if clear,mines kept blowing diff seals because of this.hope you find this useful.
Cheers.
Stewart

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »
Thanks lads, I'll give that stuff a try!

elegia

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »
Have a wee look at where the cable (the link,that operates the wipers) attaches to the wiper motor. It might be frayed and need replacing; and so does not wipe properly when there is any resistance on the blades (such as the friction of the blade on the screen).

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 08:57:02 PM »
Yeah that would make sense, I'll check that too then. Just had the dash in bits to fit a new washer skoosher recently so a bit annoyed it couldn't have failed before that and saved alot of hassle!

Seems to be the way with this project. For every thing I fix 2 more things break lol

Malc

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »
One easy thing you could try on your wipers is to open up your wiper motor crank and take off and turn around the rod (the rod is the rack of the rack and pinion). This lets the wiper pinion gear run on the other side of the rod that should be less worn and therefore gives less slack on your wiper sweep.

If the wiper pinions are really worn then you can replace these also (they come with different number of teeth, 32 or 40 so count the teeth on your worn ones). I used www.s-v-c.co.uk to get the bits i needed to sort my wipers. I used a 105 degree crank in the motor to get the correct amount of sweep even though the landrover standard part is 110 degrees.
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »
Thanks malc, I'll try that too