tdi no intercooler

· 7 · 1745

billy

• Name: Billy Phillips
tdi no intercooler
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:13:35 PM »
hi all
i have seen some tdi engines fitted to series motors with the turbos removed ,does anyone know how much power it would put out .and also what would happen if you fit a tdi without an intercooler plumbed in
thanks in advance Billy
Range Rover Classic V8 & TDI ,110 TDI ,Lightwieght V8 Racer "lots of headaches"

georgew

Re: tdi no intercooler
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:17:21 PM »
Some reading for you here.
http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di.htm

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

billy

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »
thanks george
plenty to get through i think this answers all my questions
regards billy

DWB

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:02:20 PM »
I've got a 200Di fitted in my 2a. It feels like it put's out about the same power as my 2.25 petrol did but with more torque especially at low revs. Run it for over a year now and it's never missed a beat. On standard 4.7 diffs it feels a little under geared as it'll pull away in 2nd without trouble and the engine feels busy at higher speeds. Saying that it sat at around 70 with overdrive most of the way up the M74 yesterday with a load in the back only dropping a bit on the hills but still overtaking trucks with ease. Fuel ecomomy is much better, getting around 30 - 35mpg, which is about double what I got from the petrol. Going with a turbo but without intercooler is pretty common too as it cut's down on the plumbing making it a simpler install but you still get more power than a series transmission was designed for so you would need to drive with a degree of mechanical sympathy. There's plenty out there on the web about wrecked gearboxes in series motors after a few thousand miles behind a full fat 200Tdi. Others are happy with that install too. I guess some of it's down to how you drive it. It's a noisy beast though, probably louder without the turbo and vibrates a fair bit at tick over in a series motor although I kind of like the agricutural feel.

Give me a shout if you want any more info on how I did mine.

Danny.

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »
A td5 intercooler is the easiest stock LR item to fit. You cut the sides of the centre panel and slot it up in front of a disco rad in a narrowed frame.
Steve

billy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 10:16:56 PM »
thanks guys
i have a 5 speed defender box and axles fitted so transmission should be fine it was the bother of fitting a inter cooler without changing the appearance of series front end i was concerned about
cheers billy

rangerovering

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 12:55:09 AM »
You can keep the series look easyily with the Td5 rad and also you will get better power as it is bigger than the tdi item.
Steve