LPG

· 6 · 2066

geoff

LPG
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:13:36 PM »
Hi,

My 110 has a 200lt tank and a 90lt tank. I filled it up a few days before the comp at the weekend. But on sunday I ran out of gas and had to get it going on petrol (thanks Jules)
Now, every time i fill it up, the pump stops at 100lt. I now think i'm not actually filling it.
What tells the pump to stop. Another thought, is there is a max delivery of 100lt at the pumps. I asked the two girls at the BP but they didn't know.

Any ideas.

Geoff

stage recovery

Re: LPG
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »
Geoff,  tank has a float and lever  inside which when nearly full (cant remember the figure,possibly 80%) operates a shut off valve on the LPG inlet so that the tank cannot be filled 100% with liquid. You would have to drain the tank,remove the filler/outlet unit and check for correct operation.

geoff

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:13:35 AM »
Thanks Colin.
It is 80%. I wasn't sure how it worked. Someone else told me it was pressure related.
On previous tanks i've had there was a float with a level gauge on the tank, this one hasn't got it >:(

Geoff

georgew

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:41:12 AM »
*Have you maybe shut off the big tank by mistake & are only using & filling the small tail tank?*
Geoff,
 the original tank takes in  (or used to) 72-75 litres & the inside tank from 125-130 litres.
 it is a 175 litre tank supposed to be,
 but i think maybe  only actually 150, or the stop is set wrong.
(slightly over the 80% that a LPG tank should take seemed to be what they took, but i never had the big tank empty after it got fitted,
before it was fitted the 90 litre tank with 72 litres did not run dry after a 220 run but i was panicing.)

More will go in on a cold day, (winter time)
 & you can run it for say 100 miles from a morning fill
& on a hot afternoon when the Liquid Petroleum has warmed a little & the gas has expanded & find you still can not get more in if you wanted to top it up..

so with 195 litres minimum on board & 2 miles to the litres =390 miles range min.
2.5 miles to the litres = 480 min.
3 miles to the litre = 585 min.

I have done 650 miles on gas without it hicupping.

george

PS Asda credit card at Asda stations gives 1 pence a litre off what is already probably the cheapest LPG other than Kilmarknock BP's LPG (if a regular user). 150 litres saving an extra ?1.50 seems good to me.
www.petrolprices.com
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:47:29 AM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:38:01 PM »
hi geoff, the pumps at petrol stations are set to cut off at 100 litres. you need to find your local installer with gas or gas depot eg flo gas, they normally have the tank that has no limit or you have to disconnect and then restart the petrol station pumps

geoff

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »
hi geoff, the pumps at petrol stations are set to cut off at 100 litres. you need to find your local installer with gas or gas depot eg flo gas, they normally have the tank that has no limit or you have to disconnect and then restart the petrol station pumps

That's the confirmation I was looking for ;D

cheers

Geoff