DVLA scrapped my car

· 3 · 1532

eenomc

DVLA scrapped my car
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:36:47 PM »
Finally got my car back on the road following the DVLA's mistake to scrap it back at the end of March! The problem only showed up when I went to tax it in May and no records could be found of the car. I was advised by the DVLA not to drive it on a public road as the registration had a 'Scrapped' tag assigned to it. After many phone calls, letters, photographs of chassis numbers etc they realised they'd made a typo and transposed two numbers. My case officer at the DVLA was superb throughout (surprisingly) and I had daily updates from him regarding the investigation, according to him there has been a jump in this sort of mistake as they are still battling through the backlog from the scrappage scheme. Luckily I wasn't in dire need of the car otherwise the last 3 months would have been painful.

Just thought I'd let others know in case they find themselves in a similar situation.
1999 Discovery TD5
1994 300TDi Discovery (missed greatly)

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: DVLA scrapped my car
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »
I take it that DVLA will be paying for three months use of a hire car ??
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

eenomc

Re: DVLA scrapped my car
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 10:44:07 PM »
Unfortunately not, did try my best to get something but to be honest I was just glad to get it sorted. Ended up with a very apologetic letter which coming from the DVLA is quite bizarre. I've i'd been needing the car on a daily basis then I think I would have ignored the advise and kept on using it, after all it was their mistake.
1999 Discovery TD5
1994 300TDi Discovery (missed greatly)