Head Gasket Kit stc1641

· 3 · 1304

MudBucket

Head Gasket Kit stc1641
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:22:49 AM »
Hi All, but especially v8 gurus.... ::)

I've got a 3.9v8 (originally from a range rover classic M-Reg), i'm changing the cylinder head gaskets because of excessive crank case pressure (14 bolt issue that i'll be changing to 10 bolt).

ive got the kit STC1641 which is correct for this age and configuration of 3.9. and i have identified all the bits i need from it.

my question is this, what are the THICK rubber washers for ????????? ???
there are 2 varieties, one set of 8 which are the same diameter as the valve springs.... which have no place to go,
and a small set about 8millimeters ID.
there are also a set of 8 thin solid copper washers.

when dismantling the heads i have not found these parts anywhere, are these bits just included in the kit for older (or more exotic) engines?????

tinterweb does not have any explanations, and can't get any info from the manufacturers, but all the manufactureers of the kit have pictures showing the same basic bits. ALSO the rave overhaul manuals show the kit having all these bits as well, but does not mention where they go in overhaul....

boo  :P

Cheers,

MudBucket

Re: Head Gasket Kit stc1641
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »
odd.....

replying to my own post... ;D

having another look i've found things that look the same on tinterweb and are for the injectors.
my injectors don't have them it seems.

still have to find where the small solid copper washers go... ::)

hey ho

Mikey

Re: Head Gasket Kit stc1641
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:02:47 PM »
Hiya,

Possibly not much help but...

I've very recently put new head gaskets on my 4.2V8, I just got the new gaskets, but I don't remember coming across any washers as you describe which would need replaced.
Maybe they are to do with the injectors, but I didn't remove mine, I left them and the fuel rail attached to the intake manifold.

Cheers,

Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.