chassis

· 10 · 2602

araon

chassis
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »
hello all,
can anybody help me with some advise, i have a 300 110 that got a bent chassis and i have a td5 chassis that i am going to change the engine mounts on but i cant make up my mind wheather to send it to get galvanized or repaint and waxoil  ??? ??? ??? ???, has anybody changed a 300 chassis for a five?
any help or advise would be great..i should say that the td5 chassis is like new...
thanks for looking

georgew

Re: chassis
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
The ID/registration (chassis numbers) stays with the TD5 chassis,
best check out the DVLA rules on using a previously registered/used chassis for a rebuikd, at least you will be given a VIC, (vehicle identification check).
Well you should need for the sake of all those that get their Landies nicked, but the DVLA are fickle & very lax.

Out of nosyness,
 what happened to the TD5 body & engine that there is a 'like new TD5 chassis' available?

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

rangerovering

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »
Galvanise definately, much tougher than paint and will last longer.
Steve

araon

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:56:01 AM »
The ID/registration (chassis numbers) stays with the TD5 chassis,
best check out the DVLA rules on using a previously registered/used chassis for a rebuikd, at least you will be given a VIC, (vehicle identification check).
Well you should need for the sake of all those that get their Landies nicked, but the DVLA are fickle & very lax.

Out of nosyness,
 what happened to the TD5 body & engine that there is a 'like new TD5 chassis' available?

george
i got it from amazon 4x4,it looks like they break good land rovers and have lots of bits, very very good to deal with and excelent on price.

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:59:11 AM »
Did the TD5 (Disco 2) have air suspension on the rear?
She said at my age I need something else to play with

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »
oops. A nice man told me this thread was about a 110 NOT a Disco....
Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

aqms987

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »
Hi
 I would be very carefull on this one, you are likely to end up with the dreaded "Q" plate if you mix & match 2nd hand chassis & parts from different vehicles. In essence the DVLA work a points system for the age/ID of vehicles with the bulk of the points going to the chassis but if you can't reach the TOTAL required they will most likely issue with a "Q" plate which can cause problems with the value of the vehicle.  Some insurers are not keen on accepting Q plate vehicles. There would be no difficulty if the TD5 chassis was new. I have just fitted a TD 5 spec chassis on a 300 TDI which had the engine mtgs changed for me.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 12:39:37 AM »
... or a replacement new chassis - counts as a replacement part, no impact on the points as far as VOSA/DVLA are concerned provided it is a one for one match with the original.

Its all pretty nuts really, given the meccanno style of our vehicles and the ability to pick and mix bits. On the other hand, having had a vehicle stolen ( 200 Tdi 110 CSW K292DLS, taken from a friends driveway within 4 hours of being parked up... ) in the past I'm pretty keen on anything that makes it harder to "ring" a stolen vehicles parts as something else !

G. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Fishdoctor

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:39 AM »
The DVLA reg works with points You need 8 to keep your registration. Chassis is 5 points axles, engine and trans mission 1 There are a few other parts that have points to them but can't remember which one. So you have an issue with the if the point of the orignal parts aren't 8 to gether With the chassis being 5 that is most of them

bob

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
hello all,
can anybody help me with some advise, i have a 300 110 that got a bent chassis and i have a td5 chassis that i am going to change the engine mounts on but i cant make up my mind wheather to send it to get galvanized or repaint and waxoil  ??? ??? ??? ???, has anybody changed a 300 chassis for a five?
any help or advise would be great..i should say that the td5 chassis is like new...
thanks for looking

Legal issues aside,

I've done a done a couple. The main problems that you need to deal with are:

TD5 radiator mounts in a different way
TD5 gearbox is mounted to chassis not xmember (PITA to remove gbox at a later date!)
TD5 fuel tank has different mountings
Rear body mounts on the TD5 are on a loose panel bolted to rear xmember
and of course engine mounts are different.

Solutions

make copies of the original radiator mounts and weld on
cut off the TD5 gbox mounts and use your old xmember
either buy a TD5 plastic tank and use a 300TDI discovery sender/fuel pickup assy or make brackets to take your 110 tank
make and weld on body tabs or buy the correct strip if your body's good enough to take it.
check ebay there is someone selling new 300Tdi engine mounting brackets and a jig for positioning them prior to welding.

I'm sure that there are other issues but I can't remember them at the moment!

Any questions just ask

Bob