Td5, injectors,

· 5 · 1535

dheatherwick

Td5, injectors,
« on: May 27, 2011, 07:01:10 PM »
I have a 2000 Discovery with 110,000miles and a sticking number 3 injector, have approached two garages whoo shied away from discussing it never mind giving me a price, can any one suggest someone in the Glasgow area capable of doing this work and whats the ball park price? Thanks,

MudBucket

Re: Td5, injectors,
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »
Hi,

How do you know the injector is not working?

In my experience the wiring loom inside the rocker cover which attaches to the injectors is most likey to blame for an injector not working.
Also the wiring connections back to the ecu can cause the same problems.

I would check the looms before paying the ?400+arm+leg to get a possible injector fault fixed.

The wiring loom is a weakness in the td5 since fine hot oil moves down the loom through the inside of the wires and accumulates at the connectors one at the front of the head(underneath the plastic overcover) and one at the ecu bottom plug (red i think).
cleaning(with white spirit etc) and drying(important to dry it) these connections, goes a long way to fixing most td5 injector problems.

the loom inside the rocker cover suffers from the same thing , the crimped connections to the injectors are not very good and the oil can get in between the wire and the spade connector and cause the injector to not operate. (i have, in the past, found quite loose crimp connections filled with oil. I cleaned them then soldered them which sorted my injector not working problems instantly) .

I've had the injectors fail from time to time, most recently the engine ran on 2 cylinders and stopped almost immediatly until i cleaned the plug at the front of the head, then everything went well again.

i have done 233000 miles (1998 vintage), and never needed to replace any injector.
rocker cover loom ~?30 ish,
hope your problem is just a dirty plug.. ;)
cheers
Stephen

dheatherwick

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 07:53:30 PM »
Nanocom that read number 3 was sticking, will clean up the wiring, Thanks,

MudBucket

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
Hi Douglas,

did you find out the problem eventually?

Stephen

dheatherwick

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »
Replaced the wiring loom this morning and she's runnung sweet, Thanks a lot, just have to find the leak in the suspension now, Thanks again,Dougie.