Has everybod seen this!?!

· 7 · 2019

bertracoon1616

Has everybod seen this!?!
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:24:14 PM »
Mate showed me this!!

Possibly one of the most horrific things i could imagine ever happening to your landy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zx3qKX_Pno
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
Re: Has everybod seen this!?!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:11:10 AM »
is it running on its own oil, ive heard of this with diesels but never seen it.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »
We had this when a road compactor rolled into a soft verge. Oil flowed into the engine and away it roared.  Luckily for us we rolled it back upright with a JCB and it stopped. Bit more oil and back to work.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »
Series vehicles have an oil bath air filter and the driver handbook contained a warning that a combination of over-filling and a cross slope to the right could get it to run on the filter oil. Self limiting as there was only a little oil and of the engine didnt over-rev too much it would survive.

Now with sealed engine breathing systems on most diesel engines that vent into the air inlet one can get this happening on the level through over-filling the sump, blocked filters and breathing tubes, etc. With all the sump oil to play with the engine will over-rev for a long time until something fails due to internal high speed or lack of lubrication. 

So what can one do?  None of the control systems will do anything as the engine is in "native" mode and running as a compression ignition oil engine. If driving one might be able to deliberately stall the engine if it is still in gear. Otherwise, as in the video, blocking the air intake is the only option - but beware of the smoke, fumes, heat and potential for flying metal when the engine disintegrates!
Navigator          GM1VBE

DRH

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 09:18:15 PM »
I had a 200tdi run away like this but managed to stall if before it casued any damage

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:21:32 PM »
Yeh that makes sense, the fuel pump would be governed right back as the revs go above the pre set limits but the engine will be running on oil not fuel and could in theory overspeed and run to destruction, what would go first, the con rods or would valve bounce limit the revs?
She said at my age I need something else to play with

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »
thats a standard 2.5TD death isnt it ?

crankcase breathing heavy - into air box , drawn into turbo ..... RUNAWAYVERYFAST

stick it in 5th , stand on the anchors and dump the clutch !
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.